The Besttechie Cafe'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thank you very much Liz.... :blush:

I don't think I'll be as good as the guys here that do some amazing work....but I am having a good time with the program... :D

That sig maybe changing a lot here and there as I try out and learn things... :rolleyes:

thanks blim, i tried the whole yellow thing and i couldn't stop laughing. hey where is sidekitcat anyways? blim tell her that she's got an appointment in the cafe' with her friends.

bozodog i was referring to how much is attempting to be crammed into these books and to actually pul it off. this is a huge challenge. i prefer to think of it as attempting to rewrite history or at least change the way that you think of historical facts. if that's even possible. i love how everyones response is that it sounds interesting. i know everyone wants to tell that i'm nuts.

rv65 the trick is to play around with things while not knowing what you really doing until you come up with something that's different and that kinda grows on you. then when everyone is confused at how you made it and asks you. you just tell them that it took years of studding and practice to train your skills to this point. all those desktops i did in the graphics thread were done by me just playing around. really :D

Hey Guys! I got a free moment to pop in here and read some of the posts and I see everyone is up to the usual except for MAC...something about an Empty Bag of Cheetos is what I heard...but given you an update on the Network Situation, my new server is completely setup and ready for initial install on the network, but still have to visit each of the 117 PC's on the network to remove the old domain and pretty much re-install the OS using a ghosting app. I actually got bumbed up in the pay scale as well but the Title is what really matters...CIO/ISA---Check Information Officer and Information Security Agent...haven't heard of the ISA one, but I am not one to argue...

The job has been killer and I haven't had much time to even sit down and check my own email, unless it is at home, but then when i am doing this for 12 hours, i don't want to go home and do it as well...

Everyone have fun...i'll hopefully be back real soon, to get into some conversations with you guys. I working on finishing my book as well, but i don't want to pay the amount the publisher is asking for, especially for only one copy...but who knows...

ENJOY!

Well, Vile, are we to refer to you now as Dr. Vile, CIO/ISA?? ;) Congrats on the title, that's wonderful!!! Even if the pay isn't what you expected, the new "power" sounds great--and you can finally do things your way. :thumbsup:

Do all publishers charge to print a book??? Daughter is looking into acting, and one of the things her profs pounded into her is to never pay for an agent, photos, publicity, etc. Seems to me there has to be a publisher somewhere that would look into a book for free, or is that just how its done??

And Macmarauder, you're nuts....but it has nothing to do with your book projects :) (ducks the thwack, as Bozodog says)

Liz

rv56 the trick is to play around with things while not knowing what you really doing until you come up with something that's different and that kinda grows on you. then when everyone is confused at how you made it and asks you. you just tell them that it took years of studding and practice to train your skills to this point. all those desktops i did in the graphics thread were done by me just playing around. really :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice macmarauder.... :thumbsup: Sounds like I'm on the right track then... :D For awhile I was reading the tutorials (which is good) and was going back and forth but I would kinda get lost at times... :lol:

So I decided to just experiment with things to see what did what... :rolleyes: Got a loooong way to go though.... :lol:

Thanks again... ;)

now Vile when your done with that i've got a few list of windows bugs i want you to fix :D

i've never done networking with more than a few machines and i have trouble every time with windows nt. i don't know how you do it. at least their paying well.

hey blim, everyone else is crazy and i'm the normal one. :blink::lol:

Edited by macmarauder
hey blim, everyone else is crazy and i'm the normal one.  :blink:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are normal and the rest of us are crazy I have one thing to say

HELP

hey blim, everyone else is crazy and i'm the normal one.  :blink:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are normal and the rest of us are crazy I have one thing to say

HELP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please..............for all that is good and holy...help :wacko:

alright you can laugh if you want but you i am completely useless when it comes to dealing with women around my age. i feel kinda bad gripping about my problems when there's others on the board with real problems lately but here it goes. i went to autozone to get a new thermostat for the bronco and this girl kept coming in every minute or so. they have loner tools there but they only let out 1 tool at a time. so she had to keep coming back. so i offered to help. her and her sister and mother were stranded while on visiting someone from grand junction. their van overheated and they pulled into autozone and were trying to change the thermostat and temp sending unit in the parking lot. ok let be up front, they were both hot. the younger sister was a little chubby and the older one was a little skinny. i pulled out my tool box and went to their van. the older one whew exactly what tools she needed and went right to work. i have a habbit of pulling over and helping people when their cars break down but this was the first time i had ever seen someone so good looking that knew their way around and engine. she was really nice considering that they had been been there for a couple of hours. i was defiantly impressed, she even had a passion for old carborated fords and liked my bronco. after failing a couple of times to get the temp sending unit into place and not enough strength to tighten it i finished the job for them. the cooling fan still wouldn't kick in but the engine was running so cool by itself even with ac on that it didn't need the cooling fan on. i pulled out my alligator clip wires and taught her how to hot wire the cooling fan just in case it still over heats on the highway latter. that way they could make it home no matter what. i didn't hit on her or give any lines and they were really grateful for the help. i was trying to think of a way to leave my number but couldn't think of anything.

RRRRRGGGG! i've said it before and i'll say it again. give the challenge of the mysteries of the universe or debugging windows instead. those i can handle, women i can't. i will probably be a true unsocial nerd to the end.

any suggestions of what i could've done? you instead of letting her get away.

Why don't you carry business cards? Heh, you know almost just like your sig? You are a nice, intelligent man, with a lot to offer the right gal. (*I* married a geek just in March) Go for it! If you you blabber and lock up, just hand them a card with your phone # and e-mail on it. You never can tell where it will go.

Macmarauder, I've been in that same situation and wouldn't be surprised it she was thinking the exact same thing!! :)

Now, you found out they were visiting someone, did you ask "where are you from?" That's a good icebreaker, especially if she's from your area or you know someone from her area. If you know nothing about her area, tell her you know nothing and ask what its like, where it is, etc. Followed by "what do you do?" Questions are always good icebreakers, but make sure you supply answers, too.

Another thing you could have said after the repair was done was to offer to take all of them (mom, too!) out for a sodapop or lemonade--after a couple of hours playing with the inside of the hood, you all were probably hot and thirsty.

Everybody knows I'm a nut from the first 5 minutes they know me, but I would have probably said, "you're beautiful and you know your way around a car! (cock my head and grin) Will you marry me?" The response is always laughter, but I've proposed lots of times :)

And like Bozodog said, in a situation like they had, giving your name and phone number would have been totally appropriate, you could have said, "if you have any more problems or questions about the tweaks we did, call me!"

In the meantime, keep an eye out for that van! If you do see it again, make a point to 'catch it' to see how the repairs worked out, then you'll get another chance to show her (and her mom, too, that's important if the mom likes the guy!) how nice you are!

Dealing with the opposite sex does get easier--it just takes practice!!

And don't ever feel bad about griping about your problems!! That's what friends are for! Like I say, this is way more than a Tech Forum!

And Bozodog, you're a newlywed??? A late congrats to you!

Liz

thanks guys. 24 years old and i still can't ask women out. i am a true antisocial geek. i'm like the geek opposite of Vile. i bet he can walk into a party and have no problems. me i just freeze up smile and walk away. if i could just sacrifice some of my brains for some social skills. trust me you guys see a side that most never see. i'm rarely comfortable in public. for some reason i feel ok on the net. i've spent my whole life through a wire. OK i guess it's tome for confession hour. i've only had 2 girl friends my whole life. in todays world most people my age have been married a couple of times.

hey blim just for a laugh i actually put the iTunes thing on my resume once and i even went into great detail of exactly what my part was and sent a copy of the original program. i got some very funny reactions from people.

also my late congrats to bozodog.

Nothing wrong with being 24 and having just 2 girlfriends, Macmarauder!! Daughter is 22 (.....and I still refer to her as a teenager.....) and is with her first boyfriend (unless you count an 8th grade romance) She's had plenty of opportunites but didn't want to be tied down. Her girlfriends (4 have kids already!) thought she was nuts, but I sure was happy she didn't rush things, heh, I could be a (gasp!) grandmother (I had to re-type that word 3 times....) OK, I'm going to have nightmares tonight after typing that sentence!

Like I said earlier, practice! Goes with Social Skills, too. I used to be terribly shy but discovered that I wasn't having much fun, so I swallowed hard, buried my fear of doing or saying something stupid and realized "stupid things" was actually my "corny" sense of humor and made friends. Now, if I didn't learn a long time ago to laugh at myself, it wouldn't have worked, but when you're a lifelong klutz, that came easily. Getting a job in retail, where I had to talk to people helped a lot, too!

Went to hear cousin perform again today--his brother and sister and parents were there, my folks and 2 sisters were there, it was a mini family reunion! Except my dad kept buying buckets of beer.....he drank only 2 because he drove.....the rest of us had, ahem, "slightly more". Thank goodness Hubby had the foresight to have dinner and a fresh pot of coffee prepared when I got home :)

Liz

LOL, Tenmm, you sound like my folks!! The reading in the paper line could have come directly from my Dad :D Even though I am (choke) old enough to be a (choke) grandmother (took 2 attempts to spell right this time) I still feel seventeen inside! When the time does come, hopefully I'll be like my mom--she's known as "the grandmother who likes punk rock music" (she really does like it!) My kid's friends think she's great!

Liz

thanks guys. 24 years old and i still can't ask women out. i am a true antisocial geek. i'm like the geek opposite of Vile. i bet he can walk into a party and have no problems. me i just freeze up smile and walk away. if i could just sacrifice some of my brains for some social skills. trust me you guys see a side that most never see. i'm rarely comfortable in public. for some reason i feel ok on the net. i've spent my whole life through a wire. OK i guess it's tome for confession hour. i've only had 2 girl friends my whole life. in todays world most people my age have been married a couple of times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't anything like that though MAC...i can walk into a party and have a great time, but I am the guy who always wants to get new people involved. I mean, if you came walking into the party, i would introduce you to everyone and help you mingle in the crowd..i try to the guy that doesn't leave one hangin on his/her own...All my close friends call me a geek anyways because i am always talking about some type of computer/science study invention or whatever...but just because you can't ask a woman out doesn't mean that you are antisocial...you are preping yourself for the perfect moment. You don't want to play you first impression on a person that won't be impressed, but when that girl comes rolling along, you won't need to say anything, just look into her eyes and see you future unroll...that is how it happens...and not to compare relationships to you or anyone else...but I have only been in 2 relationships...both of which laster a few years...but this is my second relationship, and i can tell you where we are going to be in 10-15-20-25 years...in each others arms...! But keep your confidence up in yourself and you won't have to worry about the chase...it will play out right in front of you!

LIZ is right as well...take fear in the palm of your hand and close it...make fear, fear YOU...sounds kinda weird, but you know what i mean...

To all...What Up, Butter Cups??!!??!!

Until next stop...ENJOY

Mac, I and several other couples I know met on the internet. After many many years of being single and wary in the dating game, I found it is very easy to get to know someone on-line. The hormones don't get in the way of learning likes, dislikes, hobbies, food, music, movies, etc. You can trade pictures, laugh, tease, ask serious questions. Then maybe a phone call and then a meeting.. My sweet Brit dumped everything, hopped the big pond after about 8 months of getting to know each other on IRC. We had 90 days to make up our minds on far we would go, before he had to return. It came right up to the wire when I decided I wanted him to stay. It's working great and I'm sure we'll be together forever.

Wow, Bozodog, that is so cool!! I also know someone who met someone online and moved to NY to marry him. We worried about her, thought she was nuts, but 3 years later, they are still madly in love!

My son fell in love with his girlfriend over AIM--he was dating her best friend (oopsie..) but I kept saying, "you need to date this girl, she makes you laugh."

Thank God for her!! She is a doll--2 years later, she is still putting up with the likes of him (and he is eccentric!!)

Liz

thanks guys. i know i know, i've got some issues. but i really am shy in person and rarely go out like other people and i swear the general public scares me sometimes.

hhmmm eccentric, gee i wander where he got that from momma blim. ;):)

on a funny side note i play a online RPG game called Diablo II and i play as an amazon. i named my character wobbling weebles. i thought that it was a good reference to The Dead Bob Show. you can't tell it the person playing the character is a guy or not and i have played as all the other characters before and the amazon has some really good abilities. last night is just noticed that guys hit on me in the game. i guess i just didn't notice before, i usually ignore what players say and play the game.

Edited by macmarauder
hhmmm eccentric, gee i wander where he got that from momma blim. ;):)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Dad!! My Dad!! He's more like my Dad than he is like me (and that scares the dickens out of me!).....I take no blame! Well,maybe just a teensy weensie bit of blame.....I might have encouraged him just a bit.....now isn't that a scary concept, 3 generations of eccentricity.....

Liz

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

i got to confuse a very well educated and successful millionaire today. that doesn't happen very often. way back when i had dollar signs in my eyes i met several powerful people and i just happened to come across rick today. he used to invite me to go beach yaughting but i never went cause he's gets his kicks by making others feel jealous of his money. anyways i just happened to talk to him today and he asked me if i missed it. i answered no. he was shocked at my answer. remember this is a guy that thinks that money and power is absolutely everything. i've learned my lesson about the greed of green. it was so funny to listen to him try to ............. absorb this information. ;) it got even funnier when i told him that i liked having the time to figure out what i really want to do with my life and it's nice to go back to film studies and take my time.

oh i forgot to tell you guys about that. i've gone back to studding film technics. my friends talked me into helping them with a college class student film.

oh and blim so it was your father huh? i guess that's a good place to put the blame. :D