The Besttechie Cafe'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel for you Vile, Consultants have got our network totally screwed. Server is an AS400, lots of pc's networked to it in different workgroups, Trouble is when you do smething the comp freezes for two or three minutes before responding. our pc's are all IBM pentuim 4 about 10 months old and run half the speed of my p2 500. But the consultants bill us at a rate of 250.00 per hr.

ok enough rant here

Vile, I didn't understand most of what you wrote, but I translated the 341 emails to being really bogged down!! I sure hope you get paid by the hour! It must be frustrating knowing that you know a better way to do things, but you have an excuse to say "I told you so" sometime in the future :thumbsup:

Bozodog, the "cold front" has been passing through here, it really cooled down since about 8pm--well, the therometer is just below 80, but it feels cooler than that--must be a dip in the humidity. It's coming your way!! Hubby threw the couch pillow at me when I was bellyaching about an upcoming 56 degree low--it was his fault for watching the weather channel.

Took Son car shopping today--just looked, will test drive when Hubby is awake (third shifter). I'm going to put his choices in the gas rant thread for opinions (hint, hint ;) )

Liz

Liz, they are saying that front will hit Friday... Mid 70's and 54 for a low.. Then back to mid 80's for the Holiday. Maybe some rain this afternoon..

Hey I want a job like consultants or weather men.... They sure get paid a lot for being wrong most of the time...

yeah I want one of those jobs too. Only jobs I know where you get paid for being wrong. Must be nice, we don't get that kind of luxury. be wrong for a week and you are job hunting in most cases. For much less money at that. I'm had it, too ugly for tv, too much brit accent for radio, and born too early for computers. Can I get reborn and start again, but retain all my memories. Then maybe..........

Well Guys, i appreciate the support. A drastic thing happened this morning, and i was asked to leave the meeting with the consultants and the owners (my bosses) of the company. After about 30 minutes...the door opened and the consultants that were hired have until the end of the week to finish what they have been paid to do and i now have the job of highering my own staff....SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! Now it is being done my way, but that also limits that thousands of other things i have going on. And Yes LiZ i get paid by the hour which my company doesn't care to much for because after 2 1/2 hours of over time they are paying almost $250 extra, and i get almost 100-115hrs over a 2 week time period....but i'll try to visit from time to time...

ENJOY

Vile, that's great!!! Bet it had you going when you were asked to leave the meeting, didn't it? Glad "the Doctor is in control". Wonder what the "old guard jerk co-worker" thinks of you now? ;)

Bozodog, your weatherman comment had me laughing. Yesterday there was a huge, ugly red radar blob over Newaygo County and the weatherman cut into tv programming. During his broadcast, you could hear the fax machine running and he announced it was probably the National Weather Service coming out with a severe thunderstorm warning (it had already been storming there for about 1/2 hour) He said, "yes, the National Weather Service has issued a warning for Newaygo County effective till......wait, it isn't for Newaygo, its for Kent County" (a couple counties south, which had a teeny tiny red radar blob) You could just hear the "WTH" in the tone of his voice!!! The only accurate weather reading in MI is to just look out the window!

And almost an inch of rain this morning! I'm watching the grass turn green. Ok, its the crabgrass, but I'm not complaining. At least it got wet enough to not crunch underfoot anymore!

Robroy, British accents are lovely and should be broadcast!! So much more "proper sounding" than MI's midwestern boring speech. Except, I could never keep a straight face when my English friend cursed, then she would get even madder since no one took her ranting seriously, to which I just laughed harder :D Just can't help it.....

Liz

Robroy, British accents are lovely and should be broadcast!! So much more "proper sounding" than MI's midwestern boring speech. Except, I could never keep a straight face when my English friend cursed, then she would get even madder since no one took her ranting seriously, to which I just laughed harder.  Just can't help it.....

Robroy, you still have your accent? How nice to know *my* brit won't lose his.. And yep Blim, he's so funny when he's sputtering brit "expletives"

i like the sound of the english accent. you always sound so much more intelligent than us americans. but i've went to a footbball (soccer for us) game there once. OMFG i thought that rap artist curse alot and they do. but you guys have a whole new level of cursing there. i couldn't understand all of it but what i did understand amazed me. :blink: i had to turn to Ashley and ask what certain things were just cause i was curious and all heck. i still don't know what some are.

(cocks head sideways and make curious puppy sound and lifts eyebrow)

you have to remember we had several thousand years of practice at the bad words whereas you young uns only had a couple of hundred.

Or as I tell everyone at work ' you all took a perfectly good language and screwed it up' :P:P:P

:lol::lol::lol:

Dark chocolate seen healthy for arteries

"Epidemiological studies suggest that high flavonoid intake confers a benefit on cardiovascular outcome," Dr. Charalambos Vlachopoulos, of Athens Medical School in Greece, and colleagues write in the American Journal of Hypertension.

They point out that the elasticity or stiffness of arteries "are important determinants of cardiovascular performance and are predictors of cardiovascular risk."

The researchers examined the effects of flavonoid-rich dark chocolate on blood-vessel function in 17 young, healthy volunteers over a 3-hour period after they consumed 100 grams of a commercially available dark chocolate.

The investigators saw that an artery in the arm dilated significantly more in response to an increase in bloodflow. Chocolate consumption also led to a significant 7-percent decrease in aortic stiffness.

"The predominant mechanism appears to be dilation of small and medium-sized peripheral arteries and arterioles," Vlachopoulos and colleagues suggest.

The team didn't detect any change in antioxidant levels, so they suggest other possible explanations. "The dilatory effect of chocolate under resting conditions can be attributed to improved nitric oxide bioavailability, prostacyclin increase, direct effect of chocolate in smooth muscle cells, or activation of central mechanisms," they write.

SOURCE: American Journal of Hypertension, June 2005.

Mac, please note:

"The dilatory effect of chocolate under resting conditions can be attributed to improved nitric oxide bioavailability

Ok, so Sunday at the lake was gr-r-r-reat! I drank too much, ate too much, stayed up way too late, and had a ball. Went for a boat ride, the Brit went tubeing till he crashed at about 40 mph. Swam a bit and watched fireworks all up and down the beach.

What a perfect day for the lake!!! Where'd you go, Bozodog? We went to a local marina on White Lake to watch my cousin sing and play guitar--clever fellow, he performs 4 hours every Sunday in July and August in exchange for being able to dock his boat there. Good barter!

Hope the Brit isn't too sore today--tubing crashes aren't fun (unless you're watching them :thumbsup: )

Liz

First we took a long walk in the woods on my 40 acres, (near Bangor) stopped by my friends house around the corner to see about my tractor they babysit. (they just bought a 28'6" sail boat and asked me to teach them to sail, fun.)

Then we went to Jacobia, our friends house near Covert on Lk Mich. for fun in the sun. Weeee! You should see a 6'4" Brit hit the water.

I've been to White Lake, do they still have that great ice cream parlor? Mmm, ice cream sounds good today, it's turned hot again.

That sounds great, Bozodog! I love sailing--when we were kids, my aunt summered across the street (on White Lake) and had a little Sunfish that we could steal anytime. Don't like tipping, though :) Did a lot of waterskiing, too.

For the icecream parlor, you mean Pekidills, with the garden in back? Still as popular as ever--I remember it when it was George's Grocery. Can't imagine a grocery store that small anymore....Whitehall's really grown, there's fast food places galore! Montague's still the dinky little village, but we still have the soda fountain at the drugstore :thumbsup: And it's so much quieter than Whitehall now.

Another rainstorm, yea!!! Except I planned on playing outside today....

Whoa! Bozodog, you reached 92 according to the weather forecast?? 2 hours away, we were only 76--and with the breeze, I wore sweats all day--you did get warm today!

Liz

Rain.....rain.....and more rain here.... :(

One of these mornings rather than the early birds chirping....I'm expecting to hear ducks and geese yaking it up in the backyard.... :unsure:

Did I mention rain?? :(

Well it's raining again... <_<

Hi, RV (as I hand you some galoshes--AFLAAAACK!!)

I sure like that fancy new picture under your messages!! Did you make it?

We had .30 inch of rain the entire month of June, during planting season, I am thrilled to get the rain :) The yard is yellow and crunchy like August--I water the gardens (when the sedum wilts, its dry) but not the yard--too expensive with city water. Since I'm Southeast of you, RV, perhaps in a couple of weeks, I'll get sick of the rain, too!

The dog and I survived the fireworks and she's now sound asleep cuddling her stuffed animals, instead of on my lap! Son and his Girlfriend had a scare--they sat where Girlfriend's family always sits, but the fireworks were going off right over their heads--they were lower in the sky this year than usual and not going over the lake, like they're supposed to--and no more wind than normal. A couple of chunks of "firework capsules" (whatever they're called...shells??) landed inches away from them, one chunk hit Son in the head (fortunately, being his head, it didn't hurt thePercussionist/Soccerplayer/MorrisDancer at all) Son brought the pieces home, of course, "because they're cool". Methinks I'll bring them to City Hall tomorrow and complain. I sure hope no one got hurt!!

Liz

Was 92 here in Kalamazoo Blim. We were on the lake all day. Bet it didn't break 82 on the beach. Nice breeze, water was warm, beers were cold.

Hmmm, chunks of cardboard from the fireworks? What goes up, must come down. It's biodegradable...

hope everyone had a good 4th. sorry i haven't been around much, i just haven't felt much like posting. been kinda down. anyways how about an update about my books. i've mostly just been jotting down ideas but i've done some actual writing. so far there's alot of different things that will be involved in both books and i can honestly say that they will feel like nothing else out there. so far here is a short list of things that will be in them.

religion

religious figures

challenging some of the most accepted so called religions facts

giant robots

historical figures

cavemen

dinosaurs

evolution and evolutionary science ------ that will be challenged as well

space and local aliens

there will be a super hero of sorts but not like most others

heaven and hell but at a time when they were not like the typically thought of heaven and hell

the throne of Grod and his power of 10

Saint Arnold ----- one of the patron saints of beer

a love story

ancient monks of the mystical mountains

mars

and quite possibly the most destructive evil villain of all times. man kind.

like i said it'll take at least 2 years and a 2 books at the same time to pull it off. but here's the funniest part, i'm not going to sell it. :D when it's finished i'm going to distribute it for free through the internet. i'd like to see a professional writer try this challenge. and believe it or not i've actually got a good story that will encompass all of these without being too weird. in fact one of my goals is to make the reader think and challenge their beliefs on their own.

i'm not going to sell it. biggrin.gif when it's finished i'm going to distribute it for free through the internet. i'd like to see a professional writer try this challenge.

Someone beat you to it Mac. I have a CD with 13 novels by David Weber. The Honor Harrington series. It came in his last book with the offer to copy it, which I got from the library.

You can download one of his right now at: http://www.baen.com/

Here's something for Macmarauder's "down syndrome"

:):D:P:blush::lol::rolleyes::thumbsup::wub:^_^B);):ph34r: (he's smiling under his mask, he's a happy ninja) Now, paint yourself yellow and practice these!

Your book sounds intriging!!! I like a book that makes me wonder. And I commend you and David Weber for making them free!! That's one of the reasons I just HATE doing commission work and try to avoid it. I finally learned to barter, that way both parties benefited!

A sister and her son are visiting from Florida--she went shopping today and we're going blueberry picking tomorrow (I hope they're ripe)--of course they're going to the beach everyday, although her son says Lake MI is toooooo cold.

Her son (he's 5 and I haven't seen him since he was a baby) didn't believe that we were sisters! :D He said, "nuh-uh" (now, my Dad had been teasing him all day, he had his defenses up!). I have my Grandmother's Jewish coloring and she's 1000% Swedish colored-and yes, we look nothing alike, all my sisters are blondes--folks assumed I was "the neighbor kid". Came in real handy when I was a "slightly naughty teenager". ;)

Sharing some raspberries and biscuits! Odd combination, but gooood!! :wub: Now, where's Sidekickcat? I can give back all those berries I scarfed from her!

Liz