The Besttechie Cafe'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Robroy,

Congratulations!! How did you quit? I've been doing the "wean method", down to 12 a day, trying for 10, but darn those extra 2 are hard to cut! (I refuse to smoke in the house and even this awful winter hasn't worked. I just go out and shiver) Liz

Ooooh, Sidekickcat, our kitchen table is here!!  Liz

Yessss!!!!

I knew this was the right place for me the moment I first saw the title of the thread.

But can't stay over here very long tonight, almost time to give the cat her anti-seizure medication (phenobarbital (sp?) in a fish solution made by the local compounding druggist), then to bed, as 4 am comes way to soon on workdays for hubby.

So will be back tomorrow for that coffee. Yes Columbian is my favorite! Yuban!

Congratulations to those who have stopped smoking, or are trying to. It is not only bad for your health, but terrible too for those of us who are allergic to it.

I am putting a big heart at the top of this post as signaling my approval of the thread idea! I love it.

Good idea, looking forward to spending alot of time here!

God bless everyone.

6 months no smoking

not even any cravings and feel great

but yeah I'll take the extra caffeine

Congratulations!!!

I quit 7 yrs ago, never felt better. Will never smoke again.

Oh ya, I'll have a cup to go.

Barb :D

Great idea for a thread, macmaruader!

I'll have a cup of java, extra rich, thank you:-)

I quit smoking 22 years ago, I was able to quit because my girl friend at the time (now my wife) bet me that I wasn't strong enough to quit. That encouraged me to kick the habit. :D

Drinking tea in muffinland, orange herbal to be precise. Looking at version control systems, and assorted code bits. Preparing for bed.

Thinkin' about layin' off the coffee until I figure out the source of my headaches. Oh noes, but I love caffeine. :/

in that case i'd recommend a cup of smilie tea. food-smiley-010.gif

Hi Codemuffin,

Oh, how I hate to tell you this, but caffeine withdrawl CAUSES headaches---whether you drink 1 cola a day or a 3 pots of coffee a day. Something to do with the blood vessels in your head. Many "extra strength" pain relievers contain caffeine for that very reason. BUT herbal tea is much better for you for the antioxidants it contains!

Allergies or eyesight??? Liz

Hey Liz

I just quit cold turkey on September 1 last year. The cravings were bad sometimes,especially as the wife and daughter didn't quit. but willpower is what is required. You just got to get up one day and say 'no more' .Good luck with trying

Good for you, Barb!

7 years--you're definitely "over the hump".  And how did you do it???    Liz

Hey Liz:

Just like robroy did, cold turkey. Had been thinking about it for many years, and finally decided to do it. Just got up one day, and said this is the day. I had read up on it, and they said the first 72 hrs is when you are going thru niccotine withdrawal. After that it was just getting over the habit of wanting a cigerette. You definately have to make up your mind first.

Don't plan a day, because you will smoke yourself to death knowing you plan to stop on that day. I think you will smoke more. First make up your mind you really want to do it. The hardest part is making up your mind and going thru with it. After that you have to be determined that you will do it. This is what worked for me. It was not easy, but I was determined to stop.

Good luck

Good for you, Barb!

7 years--you're definitely "over the hump".  And how did you do it???    Liz

Hey Liz:

Just like robroy did, cold turkey. Had been thinking about it for many years, and finally decided to do it. Just got up one day, and said this is the day. I had read up on it, and they said the first 72 hrs is when you are going thru niccotine withdrawal. After that it was just getting over the habit of wanting a cigerette. You definately have to make up your mind first.

Don't plan a day, because you will smoke yourself to death knowing you plan to stop on that day. I think you will smoke more. First make up your mind you really want to do it. The hardest part is making up your mind and going thru with it. After that you have to be determined that you will do it. This is what worked for me. It was not easy, but I was determined to stop.

Good luck

Hi folks,

I would like a cup of coffee please, or is this a serve yourself place?

I had a neighbor many many years ago, that when I first went over to her place she brought me the first cup of coffee then showed me the ropes of where she kept the coffee and filters etc, then said from then on to get my own or make a fresh pot if needed.

She just had such a great way of making people feel at home, and part of the family. One of my all time favorite neighbors, and she had a heart of gold. Ah... memories.... she helped me navigate a very difficult stretch of my life to make it to the other side even when things looked so bad I couldn't see to the end of a day, let alone into a good "future". Isn't it wonderful how people come into our lives at strategic times, sometimes very briefly even, to help us make it through tough times? I have done my best to repay her, as she told me to do, by passing help along to others in their times of trouble and then I tell them the same thing she said...pass it on down the road.

Gee whiz... how did I get into memory lane here, over just a cup of coffee? :rolleyes:

Now on to what I really was going to say before I started yaking.

The steps Barb mentioned about making the decision to quit smoking is probably the same as for the best way to go on long term diet. Just make up my mind to do it, then do it. The trouble is I am a procrastinator, and waffler on making decisions. But I sure need to lose weight, and keep it off. Have back and neck trouble from a long ago car accident, so have trouble exercising without it hurting worse, though I am making some progress on the exercise decision this winter. But I waffle back and forth on the diet thing, which makes me so mad at myself, I could just scream!!! Sigh!!!! Do smokers trying to quit go through that too?

Well so much for my love/hate relationship with food. So much enters into why we do what we do, that has very little to do with what we do, but is really all the baggage leading up to those reasons for doing it. If that makes any sense at all.

So on that note, with cold coffee here, I will mosey on out of here so I can start fixing supper. One meal at a time to conquer my food problem????

God bless everyone.

Anyone got any spare change???? Not for coffee.....ummm it's for a guitar.... :rolleyes:

Just got my May subscription Guitar World.....(robroy...you'll like this one).

The most expensive guitar in the world.......

Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Fender Strat (the one he used at Woodstock).

It says here: The most famous Strat in rock history and,arguably,the most iconic electric guitar of all time. It has been officially declared the most expensive guitar in the world on two occasions: when sold at auction in 1990(for $320,760) and 1993(for $1,132,500)

The instrument now resides in Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen's Experience Music Project in Seattle.

Eric Clapton's Fender Strat (he named Blackie)

Purchased by Clapton in Nashville in 1970, Blackie was featured on numerous tours between 1974 and 1985 an on mega-hits that include "Cocaine" and "Wonderful Tonight".

Giutar Center purchased the the ax at auction for a massive $959,500, with proceeds going to Clapton's Crossroads addiction-rehabilitation charity.

Yowser......some coin being spent here..... :lol:

(Sorry.....this isn't computer tech.......just coffee talk....lol)

So what do you guys say..........got some spare change......... :rolleyes:

The steps Barb mentioned about making the decision to quit smoking is probably the same as for the best way to go on long term diet. Just make up my mind to do it, then do it. The trouble is I am a procrastinator, and waffler on making decisions. 

Hi thesidekickcat:

Since I quit smoking, of course comes the weight gain. Now I have to also contain that. I try to walk 2 miles a day, it's not much, but better than nothing. (weather permitting)

Walking is very good for you, keeps the old heart pumping, strenghtens your legs etc. You know the old saying "you don't use it, you will loose it" Try walking as far as you can, remembering that you have to walk back. After awhile it will become a habit. At least this is the theory I'm working on. :D

Even if you walk a block or 1/2 mile, it is better than nothing. Increase the distance as you feel you can handle. Always remember though, if you walk 1/2 mile, it is the same distance back.

Well I have gone on long enough, going to bed. Take care..