Hello all,

Son will probably be the one reading and responding to this since I've never played a game other than Freecell and Minesweeper!

Son has Starcraft (original and expansion pack) and even though they played just fine yesterday, today it was totally uncooperative, wouldn't load, D Drive light just kept blinking. Checked Drive with another game and an audio CD and they worked fine. Tried the E Drive, too, same results. Computer became so sllllooowww that I ended up doing System Restore to March 17th. Everything we tried--except that dumb game--worked great!! Mcafee Internet Suite detected nothing on a Virus Scan (it picks up spyware, too, so far anyways), Defrag "wasn't needed" (did that about 3 weeks ago).

He uninstalled and reinstalled the game, game wouldn't load and the Mcafee Virus Scan disabled itself. He re-enabled Virus Scan and game wouldn't load. He disabled Virus Scan (just the virus scanner, not the firewall) and is now happily playing the game. Edit--at the stroke of 1am, the game just vanished and went back to the desktop.?. (he needs to go to bed anyways) We've had Mcafee "forever" and it has never before interferred with anything, and I don't like it being disabled (he plays online). What is going on here? Any suggestions?

Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium 4 at 253 GHz

256mb DDR SDRAM at 333 MHz

60GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

64MB GeForce4 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out

Windows XP

SP1 came with the idiot box, but haven't installed SP2 because this DUMB GAME was on the "may not work list" (the things we do for our kids.....)

Mcafee Internet Suite Version 7.0, installed Feb. 20, 2005 and automatically updated.

Thats all that looks pertinent....I don't know what a lot of this means.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Oh, and the whole idea of Hijack This scares me to death, I'd rather avoid it if I can..... Thanks, Liz

I would contact McAfee, see if there is conflict with a new up-date and the game. And you *really* need to get SP2 installed. You are compromising your system to too many new exploits. Read up on it, I think you'll find even the "DUMB GAME" has had a patch out for SP2...

Hi Bozodog,

Never thought of a Mcafee conflict---duh!! Thank you. Thats why I love the great minds here.

I am researching prep stuff and getting ready to get SP2, I'm just a chicken, (I set a goal of before April) and I will remember that patch--that is one game Son plays with an exchange student in London, so its a great way for them to keep in touch.

Oh, yeah in reference to me calling it a Dumb Game----it was late, I was tired, and working beyond my limited technical knowledge trying to fix Son's dilemma!! At that time, "everything was dumb!" :) I know he really enjoys playing Starcraft! Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers (or fur? :) ).

Again, thank you very, very much!!! Liz

An update---Gotta be something goofy with Mcafee's last VS update--Son is playing his 'lil heart out as I type on the other computer. He had to turn VS off first (glad firewall wasn't affected, that's still on). Plan on lurking on Mcafee's site, probably need to pop them an email. Thanks! Liz

I came up empty with McAfee and Starcraft on google.

Most of the search came back for cracks to the above mentioned programs.

I would contact both to inform them of the problem. After all we and they all need to have a bit of cooperation.

M

Hi Mikex,

Thanks for researching for me!!! Even if there are no results, you experts know what to look for! Will update again after responses, if any, from the companies (I know Mcafee is usually pretty prompt). Gotta wrestle the "good" computer away from son first (it has the "home email" on it) :) Liz

Hi All,

Well, I'm not the only one dealing with this glitch. Found Starcraft Website and lurked on the Forums. Folks are having same problems as I am with Norton Firewall and Mcafee AV, starting March 19. The advice given so far is turn AVs off!

Received an Email from Mcafee and there were a couple of suggestions I'm not sure I should do---

1) RIGHT-CLICK on the clock in the lower right corner of the screen.

2) Click on "Task Manager".

3) Under the "Process" tab, RIGHT-CLICK on the "MCVSESCN.EXE" you wish to terminate.

4) Choose "End Process"

**From google, this is the email scanner. Folks have had problems with this, altho my email works fine. Supposed to be fixed soon per mcafee. Altho they say the "main scanner" is supposed to catch anything from email, I kinda like the extra protection.

1) Right-click on the McAfee 'M' icon by your system clock.

2) Click on "VirusScan", click on "Options".

3) Click "Advanced".

3) In the 'File Types to Scan' box, select "Program files and documents only".

4) Click the "Ok" button, then "Ok" again.

**I have it set to scan all files, sometimes the kids and their friends download some pretty wacky stuff.....

What do you folks think?? Thanks, Liz

I use Norton, so can't say what to do with Mcafee, but I would not lower my defenses for any reason. Wait for the fix from them.

And is this something that could be added to permissions, though that doesn't sound right for an installed program. It should recognize it as OK without doing anything.

I hope you get it solved. One way is to get your kid to switch to a different game, one that does work. :rolleyes:

I have seen other game problems over on G4, seems like the designers rush to get the game out the door without always making it completely compatable with other software. At the price of the games, there should be proper company product design, and follow up, that it will work right and patches to solve problems that turn up.

God bless everyone.

I hope you get it solved. One way is to get your kid to switch to a different game, one that does work. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

well, I'd actually prefer him to be on his schoolwork, walking the dog, cleaning his bedroom, going outside or going out with friends rather than playing computer games!!! B) Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Just wanted to let you know that Mcafee updated itself a couple days ago (bright new colors and everything!) and last night Son played Starcraft without having to do anything special--so waiting for the fix from Mcafee was definitely the easiest and best solution! Now I need a solution to keep him from playing that game all the time <_<

Thanks so much for all your research and suggestions! Liz