Having Some Really Freaky Internet Problems!

Howdy everyone!!

It's been a while since I've posted over here, hope everyone is doing well!!

It started last night, I have no clue what happened, I was playing my xbox online and then it diconnected from the server, I thought what the hell?? I tried logging back on and it would not hook up to xbox live....

I can open yahoo messenger and hook up, most of my spyware programs will hook up to the net for downloading defs. but M$ antispyware can't.. I couldn't get msn messenger to open all last night, but when I woke up my old lady had it on there so it works now..

I can get on google .ca but not google.com, sometimes some .ca sites won't come up or will take a while to load......

I tried to get to go on cnn.com but would not work... But when someone told be to put certain numbers (only #'s) in the url cnn actually came up and I could see it....

I really have no clue what could be wrong I tried taking the router off and just using the modem but that didn't help... I ran every scan I have and came up clean even online scans are clean, I unplugged the modem for 5 minutes and that didn't work....... I just don't know, does anyone think it could be a DSL modem/hardware problem?? I just don't know... As you can see I can get on this site and ad-aware boards, but I can't get onto g4techtv (but I can get onto g4techtv.ca not g4techtv.com) or leoville to name a few... I can ping and get an answer from google.ca but not from google.com.. Same with Ebay..

Thanks for any replies!!

Take Care

Hi ya TK remember me/us?

Been a while since you've been here....

I know you just couldn't stay away from G4/%R^*(

I see you there quite alot....it's hard to leave the good friends and support there. I can't stay there long....

But welcome, glad to see ya made it back my little Canadian friend.

Lamuskrat, hmmmmmmmm.... Doesn't ring a bell!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

How could I forget you and the rest of them???? Not very easily that's for sure... Even tho I don't post much I'm always poking my nose in and out of here....

This is one of my favorite boards on the net... Persoanlly I have never seen a site like this where you get great tech info and you can play games and all that!! I love it.. specially the games and stuff. uyou could work hard on a post helping someone and fry your brain, then just go to the arcade play a few games and wind down/relax take the stress off the brain!! I love it!!

Take Care my friend!

TymeKiller, hello my friend.

I was checking out a weeks worth (or more) of threads at G4 the other day (I had been spending all that week between here and Leoville). I saw one older thread on G4, that you said you had a virus (the human kind), so hope you are feeling better!

You have XP as an os on your computer right? Maybe one of their now mandatory automatic updates didn't work out right for your system? Even my Windows 2000, has been changed back to automatic, says I can cancel but it wont actually let me do it, but so far it hasn't done any updates as far as I know. Anyhow that is my inexpert guess, an update that went bad, or changed your settings? Maybe even one of the recent updates for antispyware, or antivirus, firewall could be at fault. I hate any and all automatic updates that do their own thing rather than let you decide when and how you will do an update.

I hope you get it solved soon.

Always good to see you over here too.

God bless everyone.

hi TK

good to hear from you.this isnt to solve your problem but to say hi

dont see you much on this board so it is good to see your post.

i see your posts at g4 but cant waffle on over there.

you take care

regards

marty

Hi Everyone!!

Well, This is just crazy beyond belief!!

Okay what are the odds of me not being able to get into .com sites and the xbox not being able to connect through xbox live at all in the same night/minutes??

I'm just now able to get on this site after after about 2+ hours and I mostly couldn't get on any of them .com or .ca....

I phoned and ranted to my dsl company and they said someone would be there Tuesday I reminded them how I pay over a hundred a month for my DSL/phone/digital tv package and they sent someone an hour or two later... :)

I got a new modem, all new cords, new phone cord, new filters. And turned my pc on and was hoping the best.... Nothing!! No change at all!!

My Xbox has a trouble shooter, I ran that....

The first one is to see if the cords are connected, a green light indicated yes came on...

2. I looks for your ISP settings... Greenlight...

3. Looks for DNS Setting... Greenlight...

4 Look for xbox live.com... RED Light... Indicating bad...

Sometimes I can get onto them and sometimes I can't.. It seems if I let the xbox set for a while and I first boot it up and go input the password I get online and I can play... I shut it off and change games, it can't connect, go through trouble shooter, results are the same thing as the first time......

And one other thing I found strange was that when I did get onto xbox and could set up and host a game it told me I could only have 4 players in the game, usually I have 16 and this is the first time in 2 years of xbox live, this ever did this to me..

My isp had me download some "hosts" file and go into a folder and replace it with a "hosts.bak" file and still did nothing...

This is driving me crazy!!

murtu52,

Thanks I will do that now....

Hi TK,

I just thought of something, I saw your (?) thread on G4 about a new antispyware program that someone said later was similar to Microsofts antispyware one. Can't remember if it found anything on your system, but I am wondering if that program could have done anything to your system? Was that tested just before your current problem? Maybe something was removed by it, or in conflict with MS one.

Another thing to check out, I heard once that there was an Xbox Virus, so did a Google search that turned up quite a few listings. It could be just a rumor, or it could be real? I will let you check it out further, as I don't know enough about any of it to even translate it if I did read it. Just thought I would give you the idea.

P.S. Just saw a thread here, New Spyware Remover, by Flash4, about that antispyware program, so maybe it was his thread on G4, sorry. Anyhow a comment by tg1911 on thread said the MS antispyware program should be uninstalled first before installing the new one. So maybe if you didn't then that's the conflict problem? I did see you on that thread didn't I? :unsure::unsure::unsure::rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

Tymekiller,

Try setting the DNS manually.

From your post I'm guessing you're with Sympatico's DSL.

Call Sympatico's so called tech support and ASK them for DNS server addresses.

If you know someone else on Sympatico ask them to do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt to get the DNS server ip addresses.

Or they can get it through their router's config pages, or IIRC, in the settings for their connection in Windows.

Hope that helps.

crrj

Hi TheSideKickCat,

Hope all is well with you!!

Yes I have a feeling that new antispyware program is the cause of this...

The only thing that sucks is that day I did about 2 or 3 different things I normally don't.

I used that new spyware removal the first time I ran it, it only found 3 cookies.. Then I ran it again and it found some traces of warez on my pc from when I was testing is out to see if it had spyware.. All the other scanners came up clean and this one did find stuff (registry keys and a few other things)... I could actually pull up the scan records and find out exactly what it was.....

Now from all my headaches I have had the past 30 hours, I would haved formatted and reinstalled in a second, but, there is one and only one thing that is stopping me...

My xbox is having some major problems as well, sometimes it will connect mostly won't... What are the odds of both breaking at the same time?? If you are right and there is a xbox virus I have it for sure and something on my pc that has never been seen before as well.. Not even hijackthis is picking anything up!!

So my next guess was the modem itself... Got a new modem and nothing..

I'm afraid if I format and reinstall I will be in the same spot... I have all info I need saved but I don't want to format and install and take 2 or 3+ hours updating and all and it won't do any good....

crrj,

Thanks for the tip I will try that...

I 'm in Winteripeg (Winnipeg) we don't get Sympatico, we have the MTS. highspeed.. Very good service and we tried alot but nothing worked, they concluded o/s at fault as well (I can still get online and they gave me a 60MB file to download and I could download it while I was on the phone and only took 1m50's)... Of course no xbox support so they couldn't help there...

Thanks for all the help everyone...

Sorry, If it takes me a while to reply I can't get the page to open!!!!!

Hi Tyme,

Hope you can read this. Long tyme no hear. My wife has been ill so I haven't been on either board much at all, for a long time. My wife is finally on the up side recovering nicely from surgery. I hope to be comming back with a little more frequency. I tried to pm you on the other boards but it said you were not accepting any messages. I have an old e mail addy for you and don't know if it is any good. I have to run to work. I'm late

take care,

Pat

PS what was the name of the new program you were using? :D

Novi,

How are you my friend?? I'm so sorry to hear about your wife!! Tell her people that don't even know her are thinking of her and hoping/praying for the best...

Glad that she is recovering and you make sure you treat her like a princess and give her a bell to ring for when she needs you ;) I will have to look into why I can't except messeges, I think maybe my inbox was full and that could be why, but last time that happened I could still get messeges just not send them.. I know I wouldn't have blocked you so I will have to look into that if I can ever get back on the website....

Murtu52, Thanks for the help and good suggestions...

BD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been a while :) Hope you have been taking care and I hope that the pups are all doing well!!!

Okay lets get down to the dirty!!

Still no go, I actually just got on this website now after what, 12 hours??

We did everything I and my ISP could think of, now there sending me to a higher tech person...

I switched the nic card in my pc, nothing.... I found knoppix 3.4, my friend had a pc that wouldn't even load up once, we used the knoppix cd and bypassed all his problems and got online.. I tried the same and guess what?? The same thing happened, I couldn't get on websites...

I tried a system restore and nothing....

BD!!

Yes my xbox is old... Could be the card I will have to take it to a friends house to verify... The only thing is when I run the troubleshooter for xbox, the IP finding is good, it finds the connected wires and it finds the DNS, but on the fourth one when it says connecting to xbox.com, it goes red and says can't find it....

So that is why I was thinking if the little nic card was bad on the xbox, when it did the troubleshooter it would say wires aren't connected, or I don't think it would be able to find the DNS/IP settings.. I'm not sure if it would still find that stuff with a bad card, I will have to try it at a friends house I guess...

I really hope we can figure this out, I don't want to switch ISP because the one I'm with is awesome service and was faster then my cable when I had it... I'm afraid if I switch ISP or format my pc I will be in the same spot...

Why won't Knoppix go online?? Anyways I've been up for over 24 hours and I'm not feeling to good, I think I'm going to lay down and give it a shot as soon as I wake up...

Thanks for all the help!!

P.S

Novi,

CounterSpy was the program I used

Here is an update for everyone!!

The internet problems I was having is for sure on my ISP side. The tech came to my house, at first tried telling me it was spyware or a virus until I talked circles around him and showed him stuff/programs I use. After confirming I knew what I was doing more then they did, he finally went out to his van and got the laptop!!

Hooked it up and guess what?? Same thing that happened to my pc/xbox/Linux was happening to his laptop. Some sites loaded others didn't... First words that came out of his mouth was "I've never seen this ever in the ten years I've been working at this job!!"

So now I'm on the phone with them seeing what compensation I'm going to be getting out of this mess...

Anyways just wanted to tell you what was wrong, when you guys/gals see someone that are having the same symptoms and you've tried it all, you may want to check the ISP on their side not yours...

Thanks for the help everyone, sometimes problem are just out of your hands and there is nothing you can do. Personally I hate those situations more then anyone, but hey, what can ya do?

Take Care

Tyme

So how can an isp mess things up that badly without knowing it? And how did they do it? Do they even know what their problem is? Is it fixed?

I know I know!

Curiosity killed the cat...ooops! Oh well we do have nine lives! :rolleyes:

Glad you got them to work with you, TK. And look at all that new stuff you got out of them. That's a nice bonus right there.

Yes they definitely should pay you back for all the worry, lack of sleep, and general aggravation of it all.

Do you suppose they will also throw in a few bucks for those of us who tried to help you solve it too? Or better yet, have them donate to B towards his board bills, for our share of it. Ha!

Take care my friend, now get some well earned rest.

God bless everyone.

Hi Tymekyller,

Doesn't it make you feel 10 feet tall proving a "professional" wrong??? :P Same thing happened when I got Cable internet--Tech said, "Oh good, a Gateway" I told him it was an horrible machine. 2 hours and 5 calls to home office later, he finally got it installed!! And IE still has the old AOL icon in the corner!! (but it works) Liz

TheTerrorist_75,

HAHAHAHA!!! That was a good one!

Howdy thesidekickcat,

"So how can an isp mess things up that badly without knowing it? And how did they do it? Do they even know what their problem is? Is it fixed?"

Well I have no clue., and to tell you the truth I'm still worried.. They are to be at my house in 45 minutes.. And I pray they get it working...You already know the problem, can't get onto most sites, blah, blah, blah. Well, I can still get yahoo messenger on sometimes MSN, 1 and every 5 links/sites will load if I'm lucky. At least the tech brought in his laptop yestarday and verified my theroy that it was the dsl not me... Now it is a cross your fingures and hope they find the problem, I'm no dsl/cable tech person, but I've never seen this problem ever... I hope they fix it because with my past experience with cable, no thanks!! But I am all the way about 1 hour on the other side of the city so it could be better or worse then when I had it before. The thing is not to many people are calling complaining about this. Personally I think 1 out of 50 people would know it is not their pc, so I bet 100's of people are taking their pc's in and getting them fixed for no reason...... All I know is that they will be here in 40 minutes and I've got my guard up and I'm waiting for round two, if they even try to say spyware or virus again I'll make them eat their words!!

"Doesn't it make you feel 10 feet tall proving a "professional" wrong???"

I felt 10000ft tall!! I knew he/she was walking through my door with their mind set on trying to get me to believe I had spyware or something... I made his ego go from 100% to .0001%... Trust me it felt good..... I just feel sorry for the other people who have no clue and companies take advantage of that...

Anyways I will keep you guys/gals posted and let you know what happens!!

Take Care..

P.S

"Do you suppose they will also throw in a few bucks for those of us who tried to help you solve it too? Or better yet, have them donate to B towards his board bills, for our share of it. Ha! "

I promise I will ask, if they give me 20 or 30 off my bill to compansate everyone here, I will give B 20 or 30 for donation towards this board.... I will ask and see what happens... Correction, I will demand and see what happens!!

Howdy everyone!!

It is fixed.... This is what he did!!

HE had to go outside and he said he "Switched the DSL port" and it works like a charm....

I will be calling tonight or tomorrow and see what compensation I will be getting.... I know I didn't like cable but I will switch because I live an hour on the other side of town so it could be worth checking out if MTS doesn't satisfy me....

Anyways wanna hear something funny?? I seen the fastest internet speeds in my whole entire life and I doubt I will ever see those speed again in my life time!!

The tech and myself were trying to load web pages to see for himself what was happening, mts has a download file to test your speeds and is 60MB in size... Two nights ago I downloaded that file in under two minutes, guess how fast it took me when he tried today..........

It took me 5 seconds to download that file, it was so fast by the time I noticed and tried seeing what speeds it was going at it was done.. all I saw was I think something like3798931KB/s...... If someone would like to try to figure the speeds out, it took 4minutes/37seconds for 60MB...The first words that came out of my mouth was "did you just see what I did" he said yes then I said "can I have those speeds forever" he laughed and then I was like "man those are Bill Gates speeds"..hahaha

Anyways it was some sort of clitch with the DSL and yes the whole 60MB file was setting on my desktop in 5 seconds...

But anyways thanks for the help and concerns.. I'm up and running great!!

Take Care everyone!!!