I just read the pinned thing about newdotnet being able to break your internet connection if removed with an automatic scanner. I just scanner with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and it found that, but suggested that I leave it alone. Should I have removed it with that, or used a special tool? If so, how do I remove?

More information on this item:

NewDotNet (Browser Plug-In)

c:\windows\ndnuninstall4_80.exe

c:\windows\ndnuninstall4_80.exe

Matt

Here are four ways to remove NewDotNet.

Uninstalling NewDotNet

There are several simple procedures for uninstalling NewDotNet. These procedures require you to have the NewDotNet uninstaller on your machine.

1. Uninstall via "Add/Remove Programs".

2. Uninstall by directly running the NewDotNet uninstall program on your computer.

3. Download the NewDotNet uninstall program to floppy (from any computer) and use this copy to remove NewDotNet.

Each procedure should be followed as outlined (see below) to ensure proper removal. We have on occasion observed cases where one of these procedures must be performed a second time, specifically if the Windows Registry is (for some reason) restored after the uninstallation has been completed.

Please note:

NewDotNet may not be the source of your problem even though a “reputable†company may have told you that it was. Unfortunately, there are several companies providing computer and Internet support who provide incorrect and sometimes detrimental information. These companies sometimes advise their customers that NewDotNet is causing system problems, without being certain this is the case. If you complete any of our uninstall procedures and are still having problems, please contact our Customer Support Department and we’ll be happy to confirm that NewDotNet is off of your system. However, as you are probably aware, many things can cause problems on your computer and we will not be able to resolve all of them.

PROCEDURE 1 (Add/Remove Programs):

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on Settings.

3. Click on Control Panel.

4. From the Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs.

5. Click on the Install/Uninstall tab in the Add/Remove Programs Properties window.

6. Locate either New.net Application or New.net Domains and select it.

7. Click on the Add/Remove button.

8. After removal of our software, you may be prompted to reboot. Please reboot after removing our software.

9. If this does not fully remove our software, please proceed to PROCEDURE 2.

PROCEDURE 2 (Uninstall from Hard Drive):

1. Double-click on My Computer.

2. Double-click on the C: drive.

3. Double-click on the Program Files folder.

4. Locate and double-click on the NewDotNet folder. If there is no folder, please proceed to PROCEDURE 3.

5. Locate and double-click on the uninstall executable; it will be labeled uninstallX_XX.exe. (“X†represents the version number of the uninstaller and you should always use the latest version)

6. After removal of our software, you may be prompted to reboot. Please reboot after removing our software.

7. If this does not fully remove our software, please proceed to PROCEDURE 3.

PROCEDURE 3 (Locate Backup Copy of Uninstaller and Uninstall from Hard Drive):

1. Double-click on My Computer.

2. Double-click on the C: drive.

3. Double-click on the Windows or Winnt folder.

4. Locate and double-click on the uninstall executable; it will be labeled NDNuninstallX_XX.exe. ("X" represents the version number of the uninstaller)

5. After removal of our software, you may be prompted to reboot. Please reboot after removing our software.

6. If this does not fully remove our software, please proceed to PROCEDURE 4.

PROCEDURE 4 (Download Uninstall from New.net):

1. From a computer that has Internet access, click on the following link:

http://www.new.net/support/uninstall6_72.exe.

2. Download and save uninstall6_72.exe to a 3-½ floppy disk.

3. Insert the floppy disk into the floppy drive of the computer that needs to have our software uninstalled from.

4. Click on Start.

5. Click on Run.

6. In the Open window type, A:\uninstall6_72.exe.

7. Click on the OK button.

8. After removal of our software, you may be prompted to reboot. Please reboot after removing our software.

If the above 4 procedures do not fully remove our software, please contact New.net Customer Support at (818) 817-2104 or at [email protected].

Hi JSKY, thanks for the help. I realize you got this from their site. #1 and 2 didn't work, but I found this files in #3. There were more than I expected. Iuninstalled using all four of them. It said it was successful, I rebooted. I still have the uninstall files in the Windows folder. Was it removed and just left those behind? If so, do you think it is ok to delete those four uninstall files? I don't want to kill my internet... When I ran the spyware scan, it only brought up the uninstall files. LOL.. basically, am I clean or not, and what's my next move?

Matt

I remember Pete telling us over on G4 to be careful with this thing, along with 3 others checked to ignore on Spybot. New.net, LSP.new.net, Sidestep, and MY Search are not to be cleaned/fixed by antispyware etc.

Have you done new scans now? I would try both your MS antispyware, and Spybot scan, if you have newdot net unchecked in it, to see if it detects it. Do not let it fix it if it finds it.

Another idea, to see if it is cleaned out and safe, is to run a Hijackthis log in the HJT section of the board (with a reference link to this thread). The experts in HJT can tell you if it is still a problem. Good luck.

God bless everyone.