Slightly Upset

I went to the store to buy a CD for my brother. He's a total Al Green fanatic, and so when I brought him the CD, he was overjoyed. He wanted a copy for his car, so I said it could be done. After all, I had Grip, right?

Oops. I put the CD into the drive, and it screamed 'Unable to Read Disc'. Not cool. I thought something was wrong with my cd-rom drive! No, it was the CD. I tested other original cds, and found them working - my Diana Krall CD played quite well.

I know the Powers that Be wish to control the rampant piracy on the net, but let's not forget that not everyone runs Windows or the Mac, k?

Not that I'm bitter.

Codemuffin

I went to the store to buy a CD for my brother. He's a total Al Green fanatic, and so when I brought him the CD, he was overjoyed. He wanted a copy for his car, so I said it could be done. After all, I had Grip, right?

Oops. I put the CD into the drive, and it screamed 'Unable to Read Disc'. Not cool. I thought something was wrong with my cd-rom drive! No, it was the CD. I tested other original cds, and found them working - my Diana Krall CD played quite well.

I know the Powers that Be wish to control the rampant piracy on the net, but let's not forget that not everyone runs Windows or the Mac, k?

Not that I'm bitter.

Codemuffin

I agree, that's stupid that you can't make copies for your own use. I think companies need to realize that more and more people are choosing to not run windows.

I'm confused.. Are they putting file information that is not readable on Linux, or is this some DRM ploy?

Matt

DRM ploy, I'd think. Not quite sure. I burned a new Usher cd a while back for my sister-in-law, and it worked fine. Bought it from the same store, even. Brand new.

Could be an OS issue, but I seriously doubt it. Also, do they even make the copy protection work in other platforms other than Mac/Win? I'm not certain either way, but I *am* very upset that something that I paid *good* money for won't work properly.

Back to buying things online, it seems.

Edited by Codemuffin
So even if you tried this disc in Windows, it would not have been able to read it?

Matt

According to my brother, he tried putting it into his laptop, and it didn't end well. I don't know what that means. *I'm* not going to worry too much over this individual incident, but it does make me wonder - if I make my computers live in a Linux world, how will I know what CDs are safe?

Though, I took another stack of cds...I *may* be having a CD-DRIVE issue.

Pardon my thread, if so. :)

Well, I have heard of these new ideas to make it so you cannot copy CDs to your computer, and this does sound a lot like it. Although, I'm still confused of what Linux has to do with it.

if I make my computers live in a Linux world, how will I know what CDs are safe?

Did I miss something about that?

Matt

Well, I have heard of these new ideas to make it so you cannot copy CDs to your computer, and this does sound a lot like it.  Although, I'm still confused of what Linux has to do with it.
if I make my computers live in a Linux world, how will I know what CDs are safe?

Did I miss something about that?

Matt

I've heard two different veins on the subject. I've heard some of the copy protection schemes allow for a certain number of copies, however, this only works on Windows (I may have to dig through my bookmarks for the link, though). That was the vein I was working off of.

As far as I can tell, it could be a software issue - I can't see the drive, therefore I can't rip cds.

Well - I posted my thoughts to a friend, and he suggested using cdparanoia directly. Once I get ownership of that CD once more, I'll be able to test the cdparanoia theory.

Meh.

Edited by Codemuffin

Going to be updating this thread as I find more information. Google is your friend - turn anger into empowerment. :)

Conferred with my buddy again (who is a wonderful source of Linux information, I make sure to take notes from him). We confirmed that the Al Green cd is copy-protected by Cactus Data Shield 200.

Another CD protected by CDS-200 So I'm thinking this isn't a mere software issue, it's a hardware one. I don't think my cd drive can truly *read* it. When my sister-in-law returns, I'll ask for the cd again to test this theory *myself* on the other Windows machines, and then this one again, given what I know.

Keep y'all posted - I guess this is one of those 'learning experiences'

Codemuffin

Going to be updating this thread as I find more information. Google is your friend - turn anger into empowerment. :)

Conferred with my buddy again (who is a wonderful source of Linux information, I make sure to take notes from him). We confirmed that the Al Green cd is copy-protected by Cactus Data Shield 200.

Another CD protected by CDS-200 So I'm thinking this isn't a mere software issue, it's a hardware one. I don't think my cd drive can truly *read* it. When my sister-in-law returns, I'll ask for the cd again to test this theory *myself* on the other Windows machines, and then this one again, given what I know.

Keep y'all posted - I guess this is one of those 'learning experiences'

Codemuffin

Cool. Thanks for the update, I like learning new stuff about copy protection, DRM. I'm now very curious to see how this plays out.

later,

hitest

to be honest i don't think it has anything to do with copy write protection. have you gotten the CD to work in any other devices? it could just be a bad CD. i used to burn a lot of copies of things industrially. every so often one of the copies just doesn't work right. i suggest that you take your CD back and exchange it for a new one then try it again.

when your making 100,000 copies some of them don't work right. most of the time they are fine and tested. once in a while a bad one will sneak by. remember all it takes is one miss burned block towards the beginning of the disk to screw up the formatting.

I was going to jump in and suggest same as Macmarauder, but seemed too simple a solution. My daughter was sent a CD from a friend in China. Worked everywhere except the computer. We figured it was a kink between US and Chinese tech....Hopefully it is as simple as a bad CD. (and Rev.Al Green--great choice!) Liz

I was going to jump in and suggest same as Macmarauder, but seemed too simple a solution. My daughter was sent a CD from a friend in China. Worked everywhere except the computer. We figured it was a kink between US and Chinese tech....Hopefully it is as simple as a bad CD. (and Rev.Al Green--great choice!) Liz

yes, i remember hearing the DVDs are coded for regions in the world, and you have to have the right player to play the dvd....i'm not sure if it applies to song cds.

I was going to jump in and suggest same as Macmarauder, but seemed too simple a solution.  My daughter was sent a CD from a friend in China.  Worked everywhere except the computer.  We figured it was a kink between US and Chinese tech....Hopefully it is as simple as a bad CD. (and Rev.Al Green--great choice!)  Liz

yes, i remember hearing the DVDs are coded for regions in the world, and you have to have the right player to play the dvd....i'm not sure if it applies to song cds.

no it doesn't apply to audio CDs. ohh and just a little tip. i watch a lot of anime, i especially like to down load anime that hasn't come out in the US yet. so the region code is only set to Japan or Korea. you can change the region codes of your players. especially on the computer.

yeah i know it's to obvious of a solution but i figured that it's better to start there than to start messing with the OS looking for the problem.

no it doesn't apply to audio CDs. ohh and just a little tip. i watch a lot of anime, i especially like to down load anime that hasn't come out in the US yet. so the region code is only set to Japan or Korea. you can change the region codes of your players. especially on the computer.

Really? you can change the code? i thought that it is locked; some of them work with all the codes, some switch around a few times, then they stayed locked in the last code it used, and others were just plain locked. I have download many animes, none of them on DVD of course, but i've never had to fiddle around with it....

Really? you can change the code? i thought that it is locked; some of them work with all the codes, some switch around a few times, then they stayed locked in the last code it used, and others were just plain locked. I have download many animes, none of them on DVD of course, but i've never had to fiddle around with it....

:o another anime person on here! praise the animation gods. ;)

yeah, i like to get the whole DVD disk image so that i get the special features and yes almost all of the new ones are made for use in all regions. some of the old ones aren't. you've got to remember that places like Japan have been using DVDs for about 15 years already. plus most anime is on that huge rollover from their version to the US version. so for the past 10 years i've been cheating a little. :D

Codemuffin let us know what happens next and we'll be here to help. :)