hi team is IE 7 available for download.

i just watched a program from the UK .

called click on line and they spoke of IE 7.

but i missed the first part of the program.

so i couldnt tell if it was still in the beta stage.

ive been to microsoft support but cant find any reference to it

any ideas

marty

hi disregard this post ive found what i wanted .

i had to google it and i havent got google on my sys.

i had to go to my isp website.

it seems ie7 will be saved for longhorn.

so that settles that.

marty

IE7 is planned to support (at least) XP SP2, 2k3, and x64. It seems to be based on a backport of Longhorn IE but the two appear to be distinct and fairly different. Longhorn IE will presumably now be called IE8 or IE-FX or something.

The IE7 beta is scheduled for this summer. Final release could happen before the end of the year.

Edited by jcl

thanks jcl

can you tell me what difference is there between 34 bit and 64 bit

i went to microsoft several weeks ago to change my sys from 34bit to 64 bit

but it was an eight hour download .

and im on dial up.

so that fixes that

microsoft has been advertising this 64 bit thing.

and im guessing it is to prepare us for longhorn ect

marty

It depends on the context, but I assume you mean the 64-bit operating systems. Windows XP x64 (formerly Windows XP 64-bit Edition for 64-bit Extended Systems) is a version of Windows for the AMD64 (also known as EM64T and x86-64) platform; AMD64 is a 64-bit extension of the familiar IA-32 (as known as x86) platform. AMD64 is currently supported by systems using AMD Opteron, Turion, and Athlon 64 processors, Intel Xeon processors, and newer Pentium 4 processors. It won't run on others processors.

There are also 64-bit versions of Windows 2003 (Microsoft's current server platform), supporting both AMD64 and Intel's (very different) IA-64. Until recently there was also a system called Windows XP 64-bit Edition which was designed for for IA-64, but it was discontinued due to the painfully obvious failure of the IA-64 as a workstation platform.

Technically speaking AMD64 is a fairly conservative extension of IA-32. It's a bit difficult to describe the differences in laymen's terms, but they aren't very interesting anyway. The only really important difference between 32-bit and 64-bit platforms is the amount of memory they can use. 64-bit systems can generally make use of several times more memory.

From the perspective of the end-user there isn't much difference between WinXP x64 and the standard 32-bit versions of WinXP and Win2003. Most of the differences are limitations: XP x64 requires different drivers (which are only just starting to appear) and some applications designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't run correctly or at all. The one major benefit of the 64-bit platform, as noted above, is that it can support more than 4GiB of memory, which of course does nothing for most people. There are also a handful of applications designed for x64 that may show a modest improvement in performance (and probably just as many that run more slowly). Basically it's worthless for 99% of home users. It also hasn't been released yet, so you get all the benefits of being a beta or gamma tester.

The same applies to the 64-bit versions of Linux and whatnot. (Except for the beta testing bit.)

(Pedantry note: Current 32-bit x86 processors include a hack that permits them to use up to 64GiB of memory. But it's not often used.)

Edited by jcl

hi team thanks for your input

most of the input ive already accessed.

but you both have pointed out parts of the info that i hadnt .

accessed.

the memory thing was one part i didnt see in my search

when i first came in contact with the 64bit thing i contacted microsoft [local branch.]

and they said go to microsoft support,which i did .

and they advised me i could either download it from there.

or sign up and get the cd sent to my address

for free. tho i had to pay for shipping and delivery.

so i signed up.

but decided to install it from the sight.

what i didnt know was it would take eight hours to down load it .

because i was on dialup.this seemed a bit long.

that was the reason i posted to get the feeling of some of you more experienced .

user.

and im happy with the info you posted in.

eighthours dosent worry me.

ive contacted my isp and they said if i went to a cyber cafe or mirror sight

i could get it downloaded quicker but at a cost.

for me to download it i would have to do it at night .

and let it load all night.

but at the moment im chewing on what to do.

thanks

marty