Defragging The Prefetch File

Hahahaha....Ok here's is one you don't see around much but from the command line defrag c: -b will defrag the prefetch file and it really does make a difference on boot up if the file is really fragmented......

Hey il_wiccan, you have to explain to this newbie in simpler terms how this is done...please! Thanks.

You need to start your command prompt, go to run, then type in cmd and a black window will pop up with the c:\ prompt. On that line just type in defrag c: -b and it will defrag the prefetch file for you. When it is done just type exit and the window will close and you are done. If the file was really fragmented you will notice a difference in the time it takes to boot up Windows, usually faster.....also make sure you get the spacing in what I told you to type correct or you will get a syntax error......

XP Prefetch Clean and Control

Found this ,,it quite handy I use it now  ;)

Hey WhiteWolf.... thanKs for the hotlink... I saw a slowdown in start-up sequience after converting to NTFS...

Thanks again,

Brian

" You need to start your command prompt, go to run, then type in cmd and a black window will pop up with the c:\ prompt. On that line just type in defrag c: -b and it will defrag the prefetch file for you. When it is done just type exit and the window will close and you are done. If the file was really fragmented you will notice a difference in the time it takes to boot up Windows, usually faster.....also make sure you get the spacing in what I told you to type correct or you will get a syntax error......"

And thank you Il-Wiccan as well..........

Hahahaha....Ok here's is one you don't see around much but from the command line defrag c: -b will defrag the prefetch file and it really does make a difference on boot up if the file is really fragmented......

You know the old saying, you can't teach an ole dog a new trick. This is got to be the best thing I have seen so far for 2004. I can't thank you enough for this tool. I have been running a comp for just about 3 years and never, and I mean never heard of this one. My new dell it did nothing for it only because it's 4 months old. My compaq is just about 3 years young. I take care of my comps in every way, and I have to admit even after useing all the tools etc. to keep this going strong. After trying what you posted my Compaq dam near takes off like the space shuttle Lol. But serious I was amazed how much faster it starts up. Just a quick question related to this type of defrag. How often should I do it. I use the hell out of both my comps. 7 days a week for the most part. This was a first in almost 3 YRS. Lol. Thanks again for that info as I really, really appreciated it.

People, please keep these tips comming. I just might learn something about computers afterall. LMAO. ;)

I created a folder to save my "tweaks" in, then burn it to cd every so often.

The reformat and fresh install is not a problem it's getting the machine trim an fit again.

Killing unwanted services,balloon tips, asstorted things to make a computer user dumber. We don't need a corporation to tell us what we want.

M

EDIT:

would it work fine if a batch file was created and ran from

C:\doc & set\my account\defrag c: -b

???

M

Sheesh..... and I'm not even drinkin' Thanks for all the patience everyone...

"PrefetchParameters settings"

start "Regedit" (if u dont know how then u should'nt be doing this).

Follow this string :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> SessionManager -> MemoryManagement -> PrefetchParameters.

Then look at the Prefetch string and change the value from 3 to 5. it doesn't matter if you keep it Hexadecimal or Decimal.

Close registry and restart WindowsXP; it should load up between 5-15 seconds (or even more) faster. If u get success spread the word and help others.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks my friend ive trie to get this command to work for some time .but havent had the spaces right.copy and paste is a god send

marty

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bring this tip back to the top to remind everyone. I think IL _Wiccan gets the tip of the year award!!!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
You need to start your command prompt, go to run, then type in cmd and a black window will pop up with the c:\ prompt. On that line just type in defrag c: -b and it will defrag the prefetch file for you. When it is done just type exit and the window will close and you are done. If the file was really fragmented you will notice a difference in the time it takes to boot up Windows, usually faster.....also make sure you get the spacing in what I told you to type correct or you will get a syntax error......

Il_wiccan,

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. It took me a couple of tries, then I got it.

Should I do this once a year, twise a year or never again? :D

hi il_wiccan

have you read the post above this .

i answered it with the same fix you posted .

i saw this tip on techtv by leo.

marty

• 1 month later...
Sheesh..... and I'm not even drinkin' Thanks for all the patience everyone...

"PrefetchParameters settings"

start "Regedit" (if u dont know how then u should'nt be doing this).

Follow this string :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> SessionManager -> MemoryManagement -> PrefetchParameters.

Then look at the Prefetch string and change the value from 3 to 5. it doesn't matter if you keep it Hexadecimal or Decimal.

Close registry and restart WindowsXP; it should load up between 5-15 seconds (or even more) faster. If u get success spread the word and help others.

which registry do i change? in the prefix folder there are many options.....

which registry do i change? in the prefix folder there are many options.....

ah... re-read the instructions.

there's one one registry - although it contain LOTS of settings...

and i don't believe anyone mentioned a 'prefix folder' in the post...

the key you want to change was very specifically detailed - if you are *even a bit unsure* about finding the right one, you are probably better off not even attempting the change - get the wrong thing and you may seriously regret it.