I have a computer that runs DSL in my kitchen, I would like to share my dsl with my daughters computer upstairs. I know I have to buy a router but I am new to this and would like to know if there is anything else I will need? Should I go wireless? My brother may eventually hook his PS2 to it to play online as well.

I would also like to know if the fact that I have ethernet, and her machine has usb would complicate things ?

The least expensive way would be to wire (cable) the computers to the router.

If this not a problem, then you would need a cable to reach from each computer to the router. Of course, you need the router, too.

You will also need to have NIC (network interface card) in each computer. If you don't have these already installed, then put these on your list too. They're cheap--$10 or so.

If running cables is a problem, then you can go wireless and that means you have to

get wireless cards for each computer. You could also go wireless for the computer that is far away and use a cable for the one that is close to the router.

It is not hard to hook it all up, Perhaps you have a friend that has done this and could help.

I hope this is helpful..........good luck

Jim

don't worry about it, setting up a router isn't as hard as it sounds-even i've set up one, and everybody knows how stupid i am :)....

as all the previous posters have said, you can go either wired or wireless. Wireless is a good choice, however its somewhat unreliable and sometimes it is difficult to get signal. Wired, however, will require you to run a wire all the way from the router to the computer--sometimes easier said than done.

I say go for wireless, even though its more expensive you are going to like the fact that you won't have to wire down your house. Its your choice, though.

First, you will need a router. There are wired routers, wireless routers, and some consolidate both together. i suggest you get the router with both wired and wireless capabilities; you can connect computers close by with wires, and computers far away with wireless.

Second, you will need ethernet wire (for the computers close by) and wireless card for the computers far away. As mikex said, newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com are great website to purchase from, however for such reletively inexpensive products i'd try to get it near by at a local store.

I have no problem doing it, my sister kind of explained it to me. I take on tangled wires for fun. LOL (add a prozac) I was leaning toward wireless but now that I know they have the two options integrated I think Ive changed my mind. I have an NIC card, and an ethernet wire for my computer which is the close one, the only one Ill have to set up is my daughters. So basically Ill need a wireless card, and a router. I just wanted alittle knowledge before I start shopping around. Thanks for your help murtu52, jimras & mikex your input is greatly appreciated. :D

post-22-1110593190.gif