Install/run Apps From Jump Drive

I'm pretty sure that Spybot, Ad Aware, Avg can if it's installed to that drive...not so sure about HJT.  I'm sure you can install the first 3 to any drive but not HJT.

I'd have thought exactly the opposite, that HJT would be fine from a thumb drive, but the other 3 wouldn't be.

Spybot, AdAware, and AVG rely on Registry entries and have an install cycle.

HJT runs as one package, with no installation required.

The only caveat I've seen with HJT is not to run it from a temp file.

----------------

Oops! There are HJT Registry entries too, but they seem involed with uninstall only.

It would be an interesting experiment to try them from a thumb drive.

Edited by CurlingSteve
I'm pretty sure that Spybot, Ad Aware, Avg can if it's installed to that drive...not so sure about HJT.  I'm sure you can install the first 3 to any drive but not HJT.

I'd have thought exactly the opposite, that HJT would be fine from a thumb drive, but the other 3 wouldn't be.

Spybot, AdAware, and AVG rely on Registry entries and have an install cycle.

HJT runs as one package, with no installation required.

The only caveat I've seen with HJT is not to run it from a temp file.

----------------

Oops! There are HJT Registry entries too, but they seem involed with uninstall only.

It would be an interesting experiment to try them from a thumb drive.

i agree....i thought this too. However, what makes me think that HJT wouldn't run off a jumpdrive is that it is affecting files and registry keys on the computer. That could create some problems, but i don't know...i better try this out....

rob

this started out like that. install from thumbdrive. some machines were unable to connect to the net for updates.

why not install and keep updated on thumbdrive? so far I have:

HJT

Adaware

Spybot

JV16 Power tools

all seem to work fine. some make backup files or log files. I just delete these asa needed.

M