Hello, i am having some strange problem with my nVidia card. I already ruled out my moniter because i switch both of it and they are showing the same problem. here what it look like

hsdfajpeg.jpg

I tried to use Print Screen to capture what it look like, but when i load in it irfanview, it showing fine. This problem only happen in Wow and Supreme Commander game. But never had a problem with Star Wars Battlefront 2. Only way to get rid of that glitch is to Alt Tab then go back to the game, then it will go away but in sometime it glitched again, and i have to alt tab again.

I have two OS in my box. Ubuntu 8.10 and Xp Home SP3. I ran Wow just fine on Ubuntu using WINE without a issue. But in Window, it showing that glitch. I already have the latest update of nvidia driver. i read in some forums reporting that the July 2009 driver have problem with some nvidia card so i downgrade to March 2009 driver, it a little improvement but still showing the graphic glitch. my graphic card is nVidia 7900 GT 256MB.

Any help on this part?

Card COULD be overheating some. Also do you overclock it cause overclocking can cause that to happen too. My old GeForce FX 5700 Ultra I had years ago on one of my old systems did something similar but I can't remember if overclocking, heat, or both caused it. The whole computer locked up in that situation though. If you overclock too far it can cause serious issues in multiple ways.

You could also have a driver conflict. Which driver did you have at first? They JUST released a new one. I'm not sure if works for 7 series or if it's just for the 8 series and up. I just downloaded 190.38 for my GTX 275 but haven't installed it yet (still running 186.18). If that wasn't the one you had, give it a whirl and see what happens.

Also like Pete_C stated, check the refresh rates and resolution both in the nVidia console and in the games' settings. Often times, games will have control of refresh rates as well. I have to make sure to set all my games to 60Hz at 1920x1200 since that's my monitors native settings.

Also make sure that the card is seated properly in the slot just for good measure.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I did the adjustment on the game setting to 75Hz and 1024x768 to match the Nvidia setting. and plus it was default on my monitor 75Hz and 1024x768. so i went to Supreme Commander to change the setting, it went fine but i need more testing to make sure it wont show up again.

In wow, it already in 75Hz and 1024x768 setting, it still showing the glitch, i noticed the glitch occur when i change zones. but sometime changing zone didnt affect the glitch.

And i never overclock my nvidia card. i just let it run whatever it on default.

And it is already seat properly and it screwed on the case as well to prevent un-seating.

EDIT: I just did a few more playing with Supreme Commander game, it still showing the problem. And i already update it to the newest version. it still the same problem.

Edited by DarkestDream

Well any chance of trying a different monitor?

By swapping out monitors you identify whether it is the monitor or the computer.

If you id it as the computer then you start with things like the video card as likely cause and swap until you find the cause.

Since you seem to be able to run the games fine under Linux but not on Windows, I would think something was wrong with your drivers. Did you properly uninstall ALL traces of the old drivers before installing another version? Driver Sweeper works great for this.

While you are at it, you may also want to reinstall your motherboard's chipset drivers.

Games that require 3D acceleration will trigger graphics cards to work harder. Therefore, strange glitches as a result of overheating are usually only seen when the GPU is put under stress. Is the graphics card cooling unit free of dust? Does the fan spin without too much loud noise, especially when playing games?

In the photograph of your monitor, I notice that you have vertical black bars on the screen. Do these appear when you encounter the problem or is that how your screen is normally set? The reason I ask is because my old CRT monitor would resize frequently before it died and I would get some weird lines showing up on the screen. After switching to an LCD, I no longer have that problem.