Goodbye Cc, Hello University

I finally graduated Community College last semester. I feel mildly stupid. Took me 3 years. Still, I got my Associate of Science degree. Anyway, I'm leaving Columbia State and am headed to Middle Tennessee State University. Finally decided on a major. Digital Animation. Pondered Graphic Design first but by suggestion of my brother, I checked in Mass Communications for something, found Digital Animation and went for it. I'll finally be leaving home after living 21 years with my parents. My friend and I have found a nice apartment close to campus (not even 2 minutes away) and will be putting our deposit in Friday. I think we'll be moving in the 31st. Now I just need to get me a job and I'll be set.

I finally graduated Community College last semester. I feel mildly stupid. Took me 3 years. Still, I got my Associate of Science degree. Anyway, I'm leaving Columbia State and am headed to Middle Tennessee State University. Finally decided on a major. Digital Animation. Pondered Graphic Design first but by suggestion of my brother, I checked in Mass Communications for something, found Digital Animation and went for it. I'll finally be leaving home after living 21 years with my parents. My friend and I have found a nice apartment close to campus (not even 2 minutes away) and will be putting our deposit in Friday. I think we'll be moving in the 31st. Now I just need to get me a job and I'll be set.

That's great, Honda Boy! Congrats on a job well done.

Three years is nothing. I've been going to school for 50 years on and off. From community colleges, to Ivy League universities, to culinary schools, to online training.....I stiil don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :rolleyes:

Good luck at Mid Tenn. State!

Go BLUE RAIDERS!

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

Holy crap. That's some big changes there. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders though so you shouldn't run into any insurmountable obstacles.

One little bit of advice: Make sure you can afford the apartment on your own if it becomes necessary. You can't control your roommates's life, you can never know for sure that he/she will be there throughout the entire lease. You will be held liable for the entire amount if they have to leave for any reason.

Congratulations.

I agree with Jdoors; make sure you can afford the apartment on your own just in case at least for a few months. Never can tell when roommates will decide to change arrangements.

Regarding the job aspect; well worth checking into is work study / paid internships through the university. Not only does it help pay expenses but it is valid real world experience when you go into the post degree job market. Often they have local industry which is looking for students to assist their higher paid degreed employees.

Congratz man. Good luck with your future

Thanks guys!

Just put down the deposit on the apartment. Gotta go up next week again to try (harder) to find a job.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Good Luck and congratulations on making it through your first 2 years - Enjoy yourself and take it slow and easy, because that is the way that you can be sure that you are doing what it is you want in life - I agree with everyone posting, that you should be able to set some money aside in case the roommate situation doesn't work out - My friend always says that you shouild always have a "backdoor" and he is right ;)

Take Care Hondaboy, and Good Luck!!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been packing up a lot of my junk. I got some boxes that weigh a ton. Kickin off the move with car maintenance. Washed and cleaned out my car yesterday and am getting ready to change the oil in a little while. Gotta do it now since they don't allow you to do stuff like that in the apartment parking lot.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the move. I'm not sure if I'll get completely moved in and stay right away tomorrow. I may have to start Friday and finish Saturday. I know my roommate won't be able to move in Friday due to work.

Well, I've been packing up a lot of my junk. I got some boxes that weigh a ton. Kickin off the move with car maintenance. Washed and cleaned out my car yesterday and am getting ready to change the oil in a little while. Gotta do it now since they don't allow you to do stuff like that in the apartment parking lot.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the move. I'm not sure if I'll get completely moved in and stay right away tomorrow. I may have to start Friday and finish Saturday. I know my roommate won't be able to move in Friday due to work.

Ain't moving fun?

3774235129_948b161213_o.gif

Well got some of my crap moved in today and got the electricity changed over to my dad's name. I'm already back home. I have more stuff to take tomorrow. I also have to buy a new desk. My old one, the keyboard tray keeps falling off. Amazingly, Comcast is going to get my TV and Internet hooked up tomorrow. The apartment manager was right. You call the guy on the sheets in the office, he'll get ya setup quick.

Man I'm tired though. Moved a lot stuff. I gotta get up, get a haircut at 8:30 in the morning then bolt it on over to the Boro and let the Comcast guy in.

First grocery trip....... frickin $100. OK, mom is going next time. She somehow manages to get twice as much as we did with the same money.

So far... I hate it. Mostly, I just hate this town and having to pay for stuff :P I liked not paying for anything and living in a smaller less crowded town.

Plus, I'm having to get a new cell phone, cause mine won't work right out here. My parents just switched carriers altogether. We had AT&T and mine was the only 3G capable phone. Back home I had no trouble. Actually there weren't even any 3G towers out there but in every other town that I'd been that did have 3G I still didn't have probs. My parents old 2G phones didn't have problems and my roommate's Verizon 3G phone and my brother's Verizon 3G phone worked fine too out here but not my 3G AT&T phone (of course mine is older too.... actually mine is the very first cell phone model to support 3G). SO my parents just switched to Verizon cause my dad's work had discounts with them anyway. It's a bummer cause I liked my phone. Now I have to drive back home tomorrow AGAIN (just went back yesterday) to get it cause I need it. My job apps all had my cell number on them.

Also, Office Max is looking kind of promising. I hope I get a job there.

*PS, why driving home sucks right now. It's an hour one way with no A/C or Cruise Control. Plus the gas usage when I'm jobless at the moment.

Edited by Honda_Boy

The first grocery trip is always the most expensive since you have to stock up on EVERYTHING, but many of those groceries last and won't have to be bought again for a while, though it'll be tempting to keep adding on new stuff you COULD use.

Can't help ya with the phone or the job. Hope both work out for ya.

How ya sleepin' in the new joint?

Actually I'm sleeping pretty good. I guess it's cause I have the same bed.

I just got home and got my new phone and am getting ready to go to the Verizon store and see if they'll trade it cause it's a slider messaging phone. I don't text and hate sliders so this phone is worthless to me. I'm gonna see if they'll trade me for a good ole clamshell. I forgot to mention to my dad I hate slider phones and wanted a clamshell. I remembered to tell him to get one with MicroSD and he did so that's cool but I just forgot the other part.

Ahhh crap, to trade, I'd have to pay some outrageous fee I can't afford right now. I'll have to wait till I have a job to do it. I'm not ungrateful or anything. Heck at least I have a phone that'll frickin work now, I hope. Just using this style of phone is irritating. It's highly uncomfortable for me. I had trouble answering it earlier.

My dad rocks. Went back to the store and met him there (he had to go for something else). We talked to the guy who sold him the phones and I got a phone similar to my old one without paying those fees (It's kinda like an updated version of my old phone). Just had to pay the small price difference. Now I have a phone that's familiar and comfortable.

Now I just need a desk and I'll be set. :thumbsup:

And now I have sweet black glass top desk with an ultra-wide keyboard tray (which is perfect cause I have a wide G11 keyboard and I like my mouse to be level with the keyboard). Now that I have procured pretty much everything I needed, all that's left is a job.

Great find with the wide keyboard tray -- that's always been a sticking point for me too. I've always wound up using the desktop instead for both the keyboard and mouse rather than have them on two different levels -- both are higher than I'd prefer, but that's less awkward than reaching UP for the mouse all the time.

Any other job prospects?

Not quite so yet.

I think our A/C pretty much gave out today. It was hotter than Hades upstairs the whole day. I figured I'd shut the downstairs vents to cool off the upstairs. I realized, barely any air was coming out of any vent and the A/C had never stopped running the whole time but sounded weak. I also noticed that you had to run the thermostat up to about 84 to get the A/C to shut off. So I think I'll need to talk to maintenance and ASAP.

They came to fix just as soon as I told them about it. Apparently it was low on freon and the coils froze up.

They are also fixing a bunch of little things right now. they gave us a sheet and asked us to list all the problems we find. Boy they weren't kidding on that review site. They said they come to fix crap fast and whaddya know. Not but 10 minutes after I turn in the sheet, he's working on all the problems.