Cheney Kept Cia Program From Congress, Source Says

There's more to it than possible government waste. This story coincidentally broke shortly after it became clear that the health care reform plan was going down the toilet. It's entirely possible that the story was leaked to distract the public from the failure of the health care proposal. That normally wouldn't be cause for concern, but I've heard rumors that Congress is working on a rush compromise that could potentially do to health care what Patriot Act did to national security and TARP and the stimulus did to fiscal policy. Not the sort of thing that I would want passed without intense study and debate.

Do you have any proof that the director of the CIA intentionally leaked this story to deflect criticism from a failing health care proposal? You're suggesting that there may possibly be some type of conspiracy between Leon Panetta and the White House? If that is true it would be a disturbing bit of news. I think it far more likely that it is a coincidence that the timing of the leak and the failure of the bill happened closely together.

However, I will concede that your theory is possible.

Do you have any proof that the director of the CIA intentionally leaked this story to deflect criticism from a failing health care proposal? You're suggesting that there may possibly be some type of conspiracy between Leon Panetta and the White House?

No, I'm suggesting that someone connected to one of the intelligence committees leaked the story. The White House or CIA might have wanted to reveal the existence of the program but I can't image why they'd want leak the details of the congressional briefing.

I think it far more likely that it is a coincidence that the timing of the leak and the failure of the bill happened closely together.

The timing probably was a coincidence. However, the story was still leaked for a reason. It could have been something as simple a moral outrage, but I'd like to think that the political class is competent enough to exploit stories with as much political value as this one.

The timing probably was a coincidence. However, the story was still leaked for a reason. It could have been something as simple a moral outrage, but I'd like to think that the political class is competent enough to exploit stories with as much political value as this one.

Agreed. Politics is a strategic, dirty business, the ultimate blood sport. I would love to know what the machinations were behind the decision to go public with the allegation.

Maybe he "accidently" shot his lawyer friend on the hunting trip because the lawyer was threatening to leak the info.

Ha-ha, good one! I suspect a more mundane explanation of that incident may be that the VP has poor vision or he is a poor hunter.