I went to Trend Micro Housecall to do a security scan of my computer. I am running windows 98 SE. The scan reported to me that there were 2 vulnerabilities in my computer.

1. Critical This remote code execution vulnerability exists in the processing of PNG image formats. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system. (then it references) MSO5-009 for a fix.

---when I go to windows update to search for critical updates, it isnt there. When I go to the manual download page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en I see that it references Windows XP. It also has a list of EXE files to download. There is a section in the FAQ addressing windows 98 being affected but it just sends me to the update page which finds nothing. Im a bit confused as to what to do, and why the windows update isnt picking up this critical update, but the scanner is.

2. Moderate A denial of service (DoS) vulnerability exists in Outlook Express that could cause the said program to fail. The malformed email should be removed before restarting Outlook Express in order to regain its normal operation. (then it references) MS04-018 for a fix. as far as I can tell MS04-018 , applies to XP as well. Still unsure of what to do. :blink:

hi i have a compt with win98se.i normally experiment with.

and when i went to win update.

there were 95 hotfixes for it.

unfoertunately i haven th room for all the 95 fixes.

so i put half of them on.

after i installed them.

i watched a program called click on line from the bbc.

and one of the presenters said .

microsoft was going to discontinue supporting win98se.

so im a bit confused here.

95 up dates and discontinue support for win98.

dosent figure.

im glad it is only a play thing.

i dont really like win98.freezes, blue screens and what all.

and now it wont configure my printer.

hope some one dosent post and say get firefox.

marty

Well I have a copy of windows ME, but I dont think that would be any better than 98SE.  There were alot of bugs in ME. 

How can I see which updates are already installed ? Windows update?

Jennie:

I don't have Win98SE, but take a look in add/remove programs at the bottom you may see Microsoft hotfix KB888000 (example) and internet explorer may have one. They are in ABC order.

Or you can download Belarc advisor and it will tell everything you have on your computer.

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Barb :D

hi jennie if you go to microsoft support.

type qfecheck in the search bar.

keep pressing continue.

and it will take you to qfecheck download.

install it .after the install go to run-type cmd -at the prompt type

qfecheck. press enter

and it will show you all the up dates you have installed.

if some updates havent been installed properly it will tell you and the number of the up date so you can go in and install that number .

goodluck

marty

Hi Jennie171,

Not an expert, so if someone sees me misquiding Jennie171, PLEASE CORRECT ME, but from what I have read, do not install Windows ME!! I have read nothing but horror stories on it, guess it was a major flop. I have Windows98 on one computer (5 years old) and yes, it has caused numerous calls to Gateway, but has been much better lately. Perhaps not overtaxed anymore. Do you have enough "juice" to upgrade to XP? On my 2 year old Dell it seems MUCH more stable but I really don't know if it is the operating system or the machine.....Liz

ok, I downloaded Belarc (thanks barb) and installed the two updates that it told me to but....................(you know there is always a but) the one wont register that I downloaded it. Soooooooooooo I went and downloaded qfecheck as martymas (thank you) suggested and its telling me that in the update #323255 the hhctrlui.dll is invalid and it has a red X through it. Now what ??

Hi Jennie171,

Not an expert, so if someone sees me misquiding Jennie171, PLEASE CORRECT ME, but from what I have read, do not install Windows ME!! I have read nothing but horror stories on it, guess it was a major flop. I have Windows98 on one computer (5 years old) and yes, it has caused numerous calls to Gateway, but has been much better lately. Perhaps not overtaxed anymore. Do you have enough "juice" to upgrade to XP? On my 2 year old Dell it seems MUCH more stable but I really don't know if it is the operating system or the machine.....Liz

ok...let me put it this way. I have been using win me for almost 5 years now. I have never had to reinstall except once when the wife downloaded a virus. no problems with win me except for the fact I have to reboot once a day to refresh the resources. I simply can't understand why people are having so much trouble with win me. I have had no driver problems contrary to what I have heard. I have only 128 ram therefore the daily reboot. my system has been running almost flawlessly for almost 5 years. and still running explorer 5.50 with no updates. having said that you can make your own decision. my opinion probably doesn't count for much but given the choice I preferred win 3.1 or win nt 4.0.

hi jennie171.

not sure what happened but i posted a reply before and it didnt go through.

may be i pressed the wrong button

in answer to your .qefecheck install .

copy that install number .go to the update site .

and paste it in the search bar .

and it will tell you if it is valid or not.

a red x is a sign it is a bad install.

and it isnt nessceryly your fault .

lots of times it is you isp line that interferes with the down load.

and misses this file .

what ile do is ile copy and paste that number myself .

and see what i come up with.

good luck

marty

Well this just burns my arse. I tried about 10 times now to install this update and it acts as though it downloads, and I have to restart and my configuration files change, but it still shows as invalid. hmmmmmmmmmm.................. *puts hands up* Now what?

Win ME? :o

I have 2 computers, a newer one with xp and an older gateway with Me, just reinstalled me, had to take xp off of it, it just never worked well on it. and if I download all the microsoft updates to it, it starts to slowdown, crash, bluescreen, all the fun stuff. so I reinstalled me, forgot the updates, make sure AVG and Zonealarm is updated, and it works like a charm, no crashes or anything. Firefox slows it down too. I wish it werent the case, but it does. So I plug along with IE. One of these days Im gonna spring for some ram and a bigger hd, but till then, the way its running, I cant really complain. any ordering (ebay etc) i do on the other computer just as a precaution.

I would love to be able to just fix the invalid dll file. I like the way I have it set up now. I worked so long to get all of the buggs out of it. My main concern right now is security. I feel like my Norton isnt configured right because how did so much crud get past it ?? I started with a simple scan of NoAdware, which found trojans, and worms amongst other things (dialers). Now I have NoAdware, Spy Sweeper 3.0 (due to the good write up about it in PC Mag), Ad-aware SE, Spyware Guard, AND Spyware blaster. I have run every tool I have seen on this site to check my computer and have had my logs checked. I just want a final sense of security knowing all of my critical updates are as they should be. I dont even use my Instant messengers much anymore (other than to get my daughter off of the internet) due to the vulnerabilities. :blink: