Move The Taskbar To The Side Of The Screen

Move the Taskbar to the Side of the Screen

Rick Broida

Widescreen monitors are great for watching movies and organizing windows side-by-side, but a lot of time the space goes to waste. Consequently, I'm going to suggest a radical idea, one that's particuarly applicable to laptop and netbook users: Move the Windows Taskbar to the side of the screen.

If you've been a Windows user as long as I have, I promise you'll hate this--at first. But think about it: Web pages, Word documents, and the like run top-to-bottom, so the more vertical space you can give them, the better.

By relocating the Taskbar to the left side of the screen (or the right, if you prefer), you're freeing up vertical space for stuff you use every day while making smarter use of wasted horizontal space.

Ready to give it a try? The steps are the same in both Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Right-click an empty area of the Taskbar and clear the checkmark next to Lock the Taskbar.

further instructions & screenshot - pcworld - http://www.pcworld.com/article/167240/move...the_screen.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I too always "hide" the taskbar so it never takes up unnecessary space, but I've tried it on the side in the past and I liked it (though I never stuck with it for long because some icons/program names didn't "fit" or look right). Hey, there's a REASON putting the task bar someplace other than the bottom exists! It just might BE a better option for some people.

Well That sounds like something Razor at G4 would advocate. He is really into space optomization; once got really irage that Mcafee site advisor had increased the height of their icon by a pixel or two.

Personally I really don't care that much about it; probably should so I could use bigger fonts now that I am getting old; but the old 19 inch CRT has served me well for some time and I really haven't been motivated to replace it. I would have to rebuild my desk and move things around to get enough room and then there would be a gap above and below or I would have to get one that was really large.

Lets see; basic size of opening it would fit is 33x18

So at 16:9 that would be 32x18 with an inch to spare on the side but then there are the edges and base so no not a 36 inch ,have to be smaller and leave gaps , cut filler strips ..

No to much work just now.

So what would give me the same height as a 19 inch 4:3 monitor?

(about a foot tall) at 16:9 ?

Lets see, 21 wide, 12 high

Square root of 585 So over 25 inch , that is going to be a lot more than the $99 I paid for my 19 inch CRT.