This Is Really Weird ... Couldn't Get Online!

Hello all ... I just had an internet experience I'd like to post ...hopefully it will help someone else if they have an issue ...

Well it started when I couldn't get on line yesterday. At first I thought the browser was being hijacked because when I clicked on my home page I kept getting a link to AVG update ... so I uninstalled AVG ... the pages when to the links that I clicked on, but still no internet ... so AVG was eliminated as a problem ... then I did a search with spybot and ad ware ... nothing ... I checked my hard ware ... made sure the ethernet card was functioning ... the device manager reported it was. I had a router so I disconnected it and patch straight into the modem ... still nothing ... So I closed zone alarm to see if I could get connected ... nothing ... still no internet.

I tried uninstalling zone alarm ... still no internet ... I went into the lan setting to make sure the modem was functioning ... it was ... :wacko:

So I called my internet provider and we did some looking around ... with no luck ... then he ask if a had a "repair" button in the properties of the ethernet card ... there was none because I am running W2K ... so he had me open the command prompt ... we did an ipconfig command to check the infor ... when we did that, we found a weird ip address ... have no idea how that happen ... so he had me type in the command ipconfig /release ... then ipconfig /renew ... once that was done I was back on line!

We have no idea how the address got chanced ... nor could we understand why it didn't fix itself after I shut down the computer ... any ideas on that? :blink::unsure:

Well once I got back online I reinstalled AVG ... then tried to reinstall zone alarm but was unable to ... got an error message something about setup unable to find msi package or patch ... so I couldn't reinstall it ... I was checking out a website and guess what? I got a virus! You know ... one of those buggers that shut the computer down :angry2:

Soooo ... I had to checked windows for updates and sure enough there were some critical ones that had to be installed ... which I did immediately ... once that was done ... I had AVG scan again ... no virus found and the computer remain on for several hours ... no further shut down problems ... I did some checking and found a replacement free firewall ... call outpost. Downloaded and installed it ... Webshot wouldn't show the right date so I had to download and install the lasted version ... all is well ... so far. What a day huh?

But I just wanted to post this in the hopes it might help someone else. If you have any idea what happen with my ip address please post.

Zone Alarm, AVG => Unable to connect to internet or get it fixed.

Why do I not find this surprising????

when I clicked on my home page I kept getting a link to AVG update ... so I uninstalled AVG ... the pages when to the links that I clicked on, but still no internet ... so AVG was eliminated as a problem ...

Why would this eliminate AVG? If anything it would make me more suspicious it was the cause. It also has a bad habit of leaving bho and filter entries behind when uninstalled.

So I closed zone alarm to see if I could get connected ... nothing ... still no internet.

I tried uninstalling zone alarm ... still no internet ... I went into the lan setting to make sure the modem was functioning ... it was

Did you try any browsers other than IE? Such as Firefox? Did you try email or IM? Anything else that uses internet connection?

I had a router so I disconnected it and patch straight into the modem ... still nothing ..

Did you bother to power off and wait between all these switches in configuration? You are supposed to. If you just disconnect, move, and reconnect cables you will not be able to connect.

Well once I got back online I reinstalled AVG ... then tried to reinstall zone alarm but was unable to ... got an error message something about setup unable to find msi package or patch ... so I couldn't reinstall it ... I was checking out a website and guess what? I got a virus! You know ... one of those buggers that shut the computer down

Well, what virus? Did you bother to post a log on the malware board and ask for help making sure that it was all cleaned up and the damage fixed?

I had AVG scan again ... no virus found and the computer remain on for several hours ... no further shut down problems .

Well I would not say that that would make me think that a computer was not infected.

Zone Alarm, AVG => Unable to connect to internet or get it fixed.

Why do I not find this surprising????

Why what's wrong with those programs? Been using them for years, and haven't had any trouble from them.

Why would this eliminate AVG? If anything it would make me more suspicious it was the cause. It also has a bad habit of leaving bho and filter entries behind when uninstalled.

I though once uninstalled it would not affect the connection ... I didn't know it left things behind ... what are bho and filter entries anyway :unsure:

Did you try any browsers other than IE? Such as Firefox? Did you try email or IM? Anything else that uses internet connection?

Yes I did.

Did you bother to power off and wait between all these switches in configuration? You are supposed to. If you just disconnect, move, and reconnect cables you will not be able to connect.

Yes I did.

Well, what virus? Did you bother to post a log on the malware board and ask for help making sure that it was all cleaned up and the damage fixed?

That I couldn't tell you I only saw it shut down the computer once ... I didn't get a chance to write down what it said I only remember it had something to do with the C:\WINNT ... I don't know how to make a log to post on the malware board ... didn't really know you had one. :blush:

Well I would not say that that would make me think that a computer was not infected.

Why not?