Linux That Is Most Similar To Win Xp

any of you guys or gals know of a Linux that is like or almost like Win XP I mean by how it operates, i.e right click>refresh. Start>programs>games wtc... Also it would be grat if it were a live CD version so that it runs from a CD like knoppix.

If you want a live Linux CD I think the one you're using ,Knoppix, is just fine.

If you want to install a distro to your hard drive I'd go with Mandrake 10.1 or Fedora Core 3 for a first Linux install; they're both excellent in identifying your hardware and are easy to set-up.

I'm happy to hear you're sticking with Linux.

Eventually you'll perhaps want to make the leap and install it to your HD.

Both Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora Core 3 are very XP-like in functionality, with the ability to right click your mouse etc. KDE and Gnome, the windows managers for these main distros are very windows-like in appearance. However, they're not windows and offer distinct advantages over windows.

The penguin awaits you. :D

The penguin awaits you.

As hitest says, there are a few that are "windows like" in behavior but are advantages.

I almost hate to recommend the most "windows like"...lol

BUT...I installed Xandros for a day to see what it was like and was really freaked out by how much it seemed like windows (right down to the whole "my documents" thing)...hence, why it was only installed for a day.

Don't take this as a recommendation, I'd go with the distros that hitest mentioned....IMO, it's better to dump windows (if you don't need it) and dive in to linux...iccaros, jcl and hitest are always around the boards so there will be water in the pool when you dive in...lol

good luck

;)

Great recommendations they all look really good, know of any that are totally different from windows? The reason I asked for XP like where that’s the only OS I'm use to but I guess I have to learn others. THX guys appreciate it :)

You're very welcome :D

The distros (Mandrake, Fedora) that I mentioned have window managers (KDE, Gnome) that give a certain "windows" look to your desk-top. But, that's where the similarities end. These are not windows and they function completely differently from windows. The kernel, the heart of the Linux operating system, is not windows. Thankfully.

They are good starting points for a first time hard drive install of Linux. I recommend that you take your time and do some reading on the Internet and find out about Linux. Have fun with it. Also, before you install Linux become really familiar with the components on your computer. The new distros do a really fantastic job of identifying hardware, but, it doesn't hurt to know what's in your system.

Here's a link to my Linux stuff website. There may be some links that are of use to you.

Welcome to Linux!

Xandros is also a decent distro, my brother has been using it for a while and is quite happy with it.

I also know of a few others who have given it good reviews / comments.

I haven't had a spare machine to play with it on yet.

wonder if my wife would object to my buying a new (used) box to play with it on....

Xandros is also a decent distro, my brother has been using it for a while and is quite happy with it.

I also know of a few others who have given it good reviews / comments.

I haven't had a spare machine to play with it on yet.

wonder if my wife would object to my buying a new (used) box to play with it on....

I've also heard that xandros is quite good and "windows-like". Is Xandros free or do you have to pay for it?

• 2 weeks later...

hi Lycorus and Ubuntu are similiar to win

but they are really commercial .

i have the cds and ive tried both .

but they are very small.

there is another .which can be accessed from the cd .

i think it is called a dam small linux or some thing like that.

havent tried it but it can be downloaded and burned to a cd.

marty