Screwy Ubuntu 9.04

OK, my Ubuntu 8.10 sorta stopped booting but I had planned on upgrading to 9.04 anyway. Install it (64-bit version), get to the desktop, it's stuck in 800x600 and won't go any higher (1280x1024 LCD is what I needed). I figure video drivers. It won't even recognize my video cards. Ok, I try forcing it to install nVidia drivers. Now it gives me this DOS lookin deal when I start it and won't load gnome. I reinstall it and do all the updates again. This time it recognizes the cards correctly (2 of them in SLI) and I can install the drivers through the little driver dealy quite easily. OK, it asks me to restart. Now I get the DOS lookin deal again and no gnome GUI. It asks me to put in my user name and password, I do and I just get a command prompt. That's it.

Why does it hate me?

PS, it's my old rig:

EVGA NF47 nForce 4 SLI 16x

Athlon 64 3500+

1GB DDR 800 RAM

2x EVGA GeForce 7600GT's

Audigy 2ZS

Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

Edited by Honda_Boy

You can try to re-configure x windows. If you know the specs of your video card you can try this command. You will be prompted to answer a series of questions about your hardware.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

wow, I wish I had your money..

but try this

sudo nvidia-xconfig --sli=AFR

Wait, you mean this ancient thing is better than yours? My main rig is an Athlon X2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 8800GT, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium with.. *ahem* Vista Home Premium 64-bit (only problem I have outta it is the game Cryostasis crashes a lot but the game's known for that)..... and well, I also have a new 17" laptop. All I'm gonna say is it has Blu-Ray. The desktops I worked hard for both and the laptop was a birthday/graduation gift.

I think I'm gonna remove one video card, try the older 173 drivers instead of the 180 drivers. I think I was using the 173 with 8.10. I was also using only one card. I had forgotten about the other card laying in a basket and figured I'm throw it back in since I'll be letting my future roommate use it to play WoW. If I can't get this crap to work, I'm just gonna quit fooling with Linux on it and put it on something else since the old rig is gonna be used by my roommate anyway.

yes, Did not say you did not earn it.. I just don't have money for new systems (I have 3 kids.. and a Motorcycle.. ) Motorcycles are expensive..

at work we have in my lab hp bl460 with dual quad processors and 128 gigs of ram.. (16 per blade center X2)

but I don't use them for games.

X windows can be tough for advanced graphics.. good luck..

your console screen means something is wrong with the xconfig.. the command I gave you should fix.. it

good luck.

Cars ain't cheap either. There's way more money in my Civic than my PC. It's because of my car that I don't already have another system. I built my current rig a year ago.

BTW, that command didn't work. I get the same thing

it says kinit: trying to resume from and it gives me this directory and then says kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot... then says:

Ubuntu 9.04 linux-xplorer tty1

linux-xplorer login:

From there I login and it just goes to a commad line.

are you hibernating the PC.. That is the kinit resume image message..

after you boot does a simple startx work? \

no, I was fully shutting it down.

I reinstalled it one more time without the second card installed and installed the 180 driver and it sort of worked. Now it doesn't recognize the monitor I'm using as a LCD and won't show 1280x1024 (or even 1280x960). The only resolutions higher than 1024x768 are some weirdo resolutions I've never seen before. I think I'm gonna quit messin with it since I have no real use for Linux anyway. I was just messin with so I'd be a little familiar with it which came in handy for my PC security class cause I was the only with any Ubuntu familiarity.

I think I'm gonna quit messin with it since I have no real use for Linux anyway.

I understand. We will be here if and when you decide to use Linux again. Your experience is a common one. At some point when you're using Linux you will be required to learn a bit more about the underlying workings of the Linux OS. That is, how to manually adjust settings at the command prompt and/or use a text editor. A graphic user interface will not always work.

For future reference it is a good idea to back-up a current working xorg.conf file or at least print it out so that you can replace or fix it if things go awry.

I'll play with this at work, I have a new desk top, No sli but its 64, I need to load 9.04 and video driver.. I have seen some post.. but I need to put hands on.. even if you never use it it may help others.

I didn't say I was just gonna stop using it, just on the computer I'm using it on. I'll find another system to put it on. Like I said, I like to stay a little familiar with in case I need too. We used Ubuntu 8.10 in Computer Security class and I was the only one who really knew how to operate it (and heck I provided the CD to install it).

I didn't say I was just gonna stop using it, just on the computer I'm using it on.

Actually you did say that, but, I'm glad you're still with us. In the beginning you will sometimes get frustrated with Linux. Stick with it. You'll get it.

I think I'm gonna quit messin with it since I have no real use for Linux anyway.

Well I meant I was gonna quit messing with it for now, on that computer. I'm gonna find something else to put it on cause it seems to really hate that computer.

Well I meant I was gonna quit messing with it for now, on that computer. I'm gonna find something else to put it on cause it seems to really hate that computer.

Okay. Good luck in your search for another OS:-)

• 2 weeks later...

And I think I may have just identified the problem. Since I just got a sweet new GeForce GTX 275 for my main rig, I was swapping out the 7600GT and putting the 8800GT into the old rig. I noticed when plugging the monitor in that the DVI to VGA adapter had a bent pin and noticed that a small piece of plastic on the DVI port of the 7600GT was broken where the pin was bent. I straightened the pin and hooked it up to the 8800GT. Now I pulled the Linux drive due to the length of the 8800GT but I may put it back in to test my theory. If I'm right, I may have to find room to put the Linux drive and mess with it some more.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Ya know it's the exact same way I wound up with a free monitor. My friend's parents had a 19" CRT that wasn't displaying red at all (everything was excessively blue as well) so they gave it to me. I noticed that it displayed red in its own menus fine and that gave me the idea to check the cable. Found that one of the pins had gotten bent then squished down into the VGA connector. Popped it back up, straightened it up, perfect working monitor. Some times it's just amazingly simple.