I have heard that shortly, Windows will automatically install the XP SP 2 weather you want it or not. Has amybody else heard this??

I don't really want to install SP2 and I have auto update turned off for just that reason.

I don't use IE or Outlook and I have a good firewall and virus protection so I can't really see any reason to install a service pack that I have read so many negative things about.

Anybody like to offer opinions about installing or not installing SP2 and has anybody else heard about the required upgrade??

i'm trying to figure out why everyone is so worried about SP2, it has been stabilized and no longer a problem. also if I recall correctly as or march or May of this year SP2 willb e required to for any windows updates.

their are a lot of problems with SP2 and the reason companys like SAIC, lockhead martin, BAE, Verizon have put put staments to not upgrade to SP2. Their is a lot of software that is broken with SP2 and some of the fixes break connections to older exchange server. It woudl be nice if everyone could afford to upgrade the hardware and software for these servers.. its just way too cost prohibative to do so this fast..

my understanding (as of reading the M$ statement), only the pc's with Automatic updates turned ON will get the download, automatically. all others need not worry.

at least, this is my interpetation of the statement.

I also have not installed SP2, mainly because there is a game my son plays with an overseas friend that is on the "may not work list". Cheaper than long distance calls abroad!

I have automatic updates because I am lax about such things, but check the custom install to avoid installing SP2.

I've read that one has to jump through a bunch of hoops in preparation of installing SP2---backing up (which I've never done--tech inept), scanning, etc., if SP2 automatically updates, will it give the user a "heads up" to do these things first? Or are these things absolutely necessary beforehand?

I'm afraid my son will go ahead and install SP2 without making these preparations if he isn't given a choice (fearless teenager...). Should I turn off automatic update? Thanks, Liz

my understanding (as of reading the M$ statement), only the pc's with Automatic updates turned ON will get the download, automatically. all others need not worry.

at least, this is my interpetation of the statement.

I agree with Pro1driver that if au isturned off then it will not update. Not sure how it will work with the custom setting. It sounds like it may install automatically on that.

Typical of M$ toleave it unclear

My guess is that once this date is passed, you won't be able to go to M$ update site without being forced to accept SP2 before you can get anything else.

bah!!!! Dances around the room pulling my hair. Looks like an SP2 install for me (probably followed by calls to Dell support) Thanks, Liz

i would wait, do not install SP2 under duress. let's all fight to the death.....!!

those bastards will never take me alive..........!!

seriously though, wait and see what happens.

in the meantime, order up the SP2 cd (if still available) and keep it handy?

I ordered the CD, installed, and had absolutely no problems what so ever. I know people who have installed it on hundreds of PCs with no problem. It is your choice wether or not to install it, and the results will vary depending on what software, drivers, and hardware you have installed on your machine.

Sorry if this wasn't what the topic was really about, :blink: I got a little confused while reading it

Matt

their are a lot of problems with SP2 and the reason companys like SAIC, lockhead martin, BAE, Verizon have put put staments to not upgrade to SP2. Their is a lot of software that is broken with SP2  and some of the fixes break connections to older exchange server. It woudl be nice if everyone could afford to upgrade the hardware and software for these servers.. its just way too cost prohibative to do so this fast..

As Iccaros stated, Verizon told me three times to uninstall SP2. I first installed it from the CD sent by M$. Totally messed up my linksys router BEFW11S4 settings to the point that I lost internet completely. After uninstall, all was OK. Second time, tried the download from M$ update. Same problem. Uninstalled SP2 and again up and running.

Third time, disconnected router and used M$ firewall only to reinstall. Still no good.

Finally, I had $40.00 in Best Buy Coupons, and purchased XP Home Upgrade with SP2.

Previously had pre-installed Compaq with XP Home. (used old copy of Win 98 CD for upgrade). Installed clean, after backing up of course, leaving router connected with modem on. Everything went perfectly. I am still online with no problems with my DSL.

What I am thinking is if someone with a lot of initiative and know how can break down somehow all three versions of SP2 (CD, Download and upgrade CD), there may be something different in the three ways of installing. If side by side, there is something different in one, not the others, could this be part of the problem?

Just my rant.

Rich

Compaq S4100NX 2.5GHZ~WinXP Home SP2

80GB HDD~Verizon DSL~512MB Memory

Firefox 1.0.1~Linksys Router

Hi Matt! The confusion was probably the "blim effect". Here two days and already causing confusion, I am the master!

Glad to hear you had no problems with SP2. Did you do anything special beforehand? (scandisk, defrag, scan, back up,disable restore, boot to safe mode, jump through fire, etc. it was a huge, unfamiliar list) It's the preparation I've read about that scares me. I've defragged and scanned but I've never attempted the other tasks. Well, jumping through fire doesn't sound too scary. Thanks, Liz

Hi Matt! The confusion was probably the "blim effect". Here two days and already causing confusion, I am the master!

Glad to hear you had no problems with SP2. Did you do anything special beforehand? (scandisk, defrag, scan, back up,disable restore, boot to safe mode, jump through fire, etc. it was a huge, unfamiliar list) It's the preparation I've read about that scares me. I've defragged and scanned but I've never attempted the other tasks. Well, jumping through fire doesn't sound too scary. Thanks, Liz

Nope, just backed up all important stuff, and let' 'er rip. Everything turned out fine. Afterwords, I had to do some tweaking, so that MY firwall and AV were the primar ones, not the Windows provided. Besides that, quite easy.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks, never backed up before, I know I'm supposed to, but I read that XP makes it "easy". My old Gateway taught me to cringe whenever I read "simply follow the online instructions..." but my newer Dell so far has acted much nicer.

And I'm with you on the firewall--I learned on Mcafee and want to keep it (and its free with rebates if you buy it in January).

and Hi tg1911,

Yep, THAT was the list that scared me, but looking at it again, i suppose it isn't too bad! Just need to learn how to do a few things!

Thanks to the both of you for your advice! Liz