Need Help! How Do I Clean Up Cat Pee To Remove Smell?

Sorry this might be off topic.

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

steve

Hey steve:-) Welcome to besttechie.net. I'm moving your post to open chat. I hope you find a solution.

Man, there are a bajillion "home remedies" and products for odor, it's tough to say.

The only thing I've found that really eliminates odors for good is an enzyme-based odor eliminator. The enzymes actually break down the molecules that cause the odor (I use a product by Arm & Hammer, but mostly because it's less expensive than the other name brands). A bit o' research online however turned up hundreds of enzyme-based odor eliminators. Yikes.

BTW, you didn't mention if you've had your cat checked by a vet. There are several causes of incontinence that can be helped by meds.

Taken off the internet ........

1. Get down on your hands and knees and sniff out exactly where the urine spot is.

2.Pull up your carpet and remove the pad underneath and trash it. Nothing can save it.

3.Get as much of the urine out as possible ising a carpet cleaner. Whatever you do don't dump water on it. You will just cause the smell to spread to the surrounding carpet. Don't dose it with cleaners or enzymes either. The urine will spread out and eventually get into the good pad. You will have to sacrifice more pad.

4.Go to Sams Club, and get the OdoBan. It is about $10 for a gallon. It should come with a spray bottle. If it doesn't get one.

5.Spray on carpet according to the instructions on the bottle.

You may have to spray it twice, and the odor gone.

Failing that ask your vet what is recommended or get another cat. nicecat.gif

There is a product in the US called OdorXit that will take out the odor and it is permanent. Have never used it but some people have & claim it works.

good luck ..

Having six dogs (found a good home for the Pit we were fostering. He is now on a ranch having a ball herding cows. Seems he has a natural talent for that; and loves to go swimming in the creek when he gets hot from herding cattle.) and four cats (plus the feral and her four kittens ) I found that a vital part of pet owner ship is a good carpet cleaner.

Now you could invest in a fancy carpet shampooers or extractors like the Hoover Steamvac or Bissel green machine; but I have this neat thing I bought fifteen or twenty years ago called a SteamTeam from shop vac.

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/hsh/1188436860.html

It has a soap dispenser and spray hose (I got the really long one) that attaches to your kitchen or bathroom hot water faucet.

Then it has a spray and pickup head just like a commercial carpet cleaner that hooks up to the water hose and to your shop vac . You can use it with or without soap in the dispenser as needed. Just go back and forth over an affected area until it is clean.

I had to replace the o-rings around the soap dispenser last year but those are stock at the hardware store.

(Side note; with urine it is best to clean with cold water first as hot water can set the urine making it harder to remove) .

I have no idea why shop vac stopped making them. They really are the most effective home carpet extraction system I have seen; especially with a large high horsepower shop vac.

Sure when you spot an accident you can just suck it up and pour on five gallons of water and suck that up too to get things clean ; but this really does the job.

]

http://cgi.ebay.fr/SHOP-VAC-STEAM-TEAM-CAR...038561037QQrdZ1

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/clean-stains.pdf

http://www.petstainoff.com/

Has some good stuff . Note that urine glows under UV light so if you are unsure where they are peeing; just get a black light .

Pete, I KNEW you'd have some good advice (though I thought for SURE you'd have some home-brew recipe for odor remover). I suspect the Shop-Vac just couldn't compete with the convenience of all-in-one units that don't need a hose connected to a faucet (quality of results be damned). I like the idea of the black light for locating cat urine spots (does DOG urine also glow?).

Like Pete, I have an Oldster--A Bissell canister with the hose that attaches to the sink. Bought it because the uprights didn't have heaters in 'em back then, and it made no sense to get interrupted and the soapwater getting cold.....With the sink hookup, you just turn off the water when the phone rings!

Also sure wish they'd start making these "oldfangled gadgets" again. I'm always afraid mine is gonna wear out someday. Then I'll be really, really sad!

Liz

All urine glows in UV light. That is how hawks spot rodents. Rodents have some kind of genetically inherited kidney / bladder issue where they dribble all the time and leave a trail of urine. Useful in the dark to follow back to where they came from; but in daylight if you can see into the UV it leaves a glowing trail and you just look for the one that grows in length.

I just noticed this thread but this guy is a spammer. He has made the same post on several sites. I banned the "person" who was going to come recommend a product to "steve" the other day.

I'll leave this thread as it now has some useful information in it! :lol:

B

Yeah the trolls and spammers get harder to spot all the time. They have wised up and realize that if they just post and answer it gets spotted and pulled so they post and wait for the thread to get replies before their ringer comes in and spams the product and referral link.

Hell you can buy urine eliminator (chemical and enzyme) at the everythings 99 cents store for 99 cents a quart spray bottle; as well as generic versions of Febreze (odor eliminators using polysaccaride chains to encapsulate odors).

I'm always leery of a "one post poster" and a random question like that.....butttt, it was in interesting conversation anyways and hopefully someone learned something about cat pee :D

Liz

did you know that in New zealand they sell wine called "cat pee on gooseberry bush". It says on the bottle a slight armona of cat pee ... they lied cuz it is a very nice white wine. The wine is sold mostly in specialty shops, the proceeds, can't remember if all or partial, I was told, go to animal shelters [for cats] to provide care for them. Kiwi's are very much into cat ownership.

I just noticed this thread but this guy is a spammer. He has made the same post on several sites. I banned the "person" who was going to come recommend a product to "steve" the other day.

I'll leave this thread as it now has some useful information in it! :lol:

B

Jeff:

Thanks for dealing with this "spammer" I wondered if the guy "steve" may be a bot because of the strange display name he had listed - the information here is very useful so as you say, it should be left :)

Thanks for all you, and your staff do to make this place the way it is :) It IS appreciated :)

Brian

Yeah the trolls and spammers get harder to spot all the time. They have wised up and realize that if they just post and answer it gets spotted and pulled so they post and wait for the thread to get replies before their ringer comes in and spams the product and referral link.

Hell you can buy urine eliminator (chemical and enzyme) at the everythings 99 cents store for 99 cents a quart spray bottle; as well as generic versions of Febreze (odor eliminators using polysaccaride chains to encapsulate odors).

Pete:

I use a product called "Digester" which is an enzyme that deals with urine and feces very well - It dissolves the stuff and the enzymes "eat it" up - I use this to clean and deordorize my bathroom, sink, toilet and shower and thier drains. If I "miss" the target, I just spray that and let it sit for a while, and all is well.

Brian

Well I have to say that all new bathrooms should have a sloped tile floor (and wainscotting) with a floor drain. Gotta love the convenience of just taking the hand held shower spray and hosing down the whole bathroom ; Toilet and all .

The local Everything's 99Cents store carries enzymatic urine digester for you guessed it 99 cents. It works, and that is a decent price. I also have some commercial stuff that you use with an extraction cleaner that smells like cherries to me (had a neighbor who was a sales rep for ecolab / airkem and some other janatorial supply company and he let me get all kinds of stuff at cost so I could tell him how well they worked and what they could do so he would sound more knowledgeable when making his pitches). Still trying to figure out how to use up the five gallons of commercial cleaner degreaser I bought (I have almost four gallons left it works so good I think they stopped making it)

If it's an area rug, I'd toss it. Unless it's an heirloom or something of value. No matter how hard you try, the cat will smell it and consider it the new litter box.

The enzyme cleaners mentioned work, but you have to be sure to clean everything. The black light is a good tool also. I bought one at Home Depot for about 12 bucks. 18" fluorescent tube with a light weight holder and a power cord. Just plug it into a long extension cord and scan the area. Check walls too. Sometimes they like to spray.

Take the cat to a vet. Urinating indoors is sometimes a sign of Diabetes, as is excessive thirst. I learned that lesson too late the hard way.

Good luck.

• 10 years later...