hi team i had this trouble way back and TK and il _wiccan gave me this fix

there ahs been several posts on g4

so if it is helpful im posting in case some one needs it

Volume Icon Is Not Displayed in the Notification Area, and You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Add It

Applies To

This article was previously published under Q319095

SYMPTOMS

On a Windows XP-based computer, you may experience one or both of the following behaviors:

The Volume icon is no longer displayed in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar.

When you try to add the volume control icon to the notification area (in the Sounds and Audio Devices utility in Control Panel, click to select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box on the Volume tab), you receive the following error message:

Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

As a result, you cannot start the Volume Control program and adjust the volume and sound level settings of your computer.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if the Sndvol32.exe file is damaged or missing.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):

CD-ROM drive:

cd i386

expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):

e:

cd i386

expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

Type exit to quit the command prompt.

Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

MORE INFORMATION