Ftc Sues Companies To Stop Automated "robo Calls"

LINKAGE

I picked this one up off of Yahoo!! These "Robocalls" as they are referred to, are nothing more than a scam because there is NO WAY to remove yourself from these call lists, they don't allow you to see what the heck you agree to until AFTER they hook you, and the warranty does not cover what it is supposed to, and even when you do ask NOT to be called again, they call back. I have gotten so many calls from this and another similar entities that I wish we could QUASH these rediculous calls.

I get the calls for being out of warranty on my car, and I do not drive, and I get calls from "Heather" at account services, stating that my credit card interest rates could be lowered, and I don't HAVE a Credit Card - GRRRR.

I wish that all 50 states would REQUIRE companies to SHOW their numbers on Caller ID Units, rather then to show you "unknown caller" all the time - The Do Not Call List is there for a reason, and I wish that companies like this would respsct it - Maybe the FTC can rip the wires outta these creeps phonebanks, but they should be going after all of them, not just some of them.

Brian

Edited by baker7

A computerized calling center could easily block numbers on the Do Not Call List. These companies are intentionally ignoring the law and must be severely punished for their blatant disregard of the law.

I got both kinds of calls, the auto warranty (for the 12 year old truck I bought used? -- that just SCREAMS scam) and the credit card rate call (they never mention what BRAND of card they're calling for, wouldn't they know? Nor do I understand why, if it were legit, "my" credit card company can't lower my rate without having to call me first -- that just SCREAMS scam).

Many moons ago I stopped paying for caller ID since the service does not do what they promote it as doing -- Instead, too often it passes any information the caller pays for, or no useful information at all. People PAY for a crappy service?

Nowadays there are ways to get the service free, but it's still flawed and could easily be fixed if the phone company would simply do what they say they do: ID Callers (with exceptions for things such as women's shelters, etc.).

Ha! The Google ad I see says, "Fake Your Caller ID! Make ANY number you want show up!"

Edited by JDoors

Agreed: CID sometimes can be fooled, but the problem is that we would have to be able to get rid of these companies that have phone banks that call people up just to harrass them, or sell something that is illegal, questionable, or immoral. States like Florida have laws that say that CID must show the number from where someone is calling, so that the person can know where to reteun a phone call to.

If a customer wants to contact these places, it is there right, but it is also our responsibility to nix companies who call and try to "wrangle" someone into something when they don't need it or want it, and there are laws against telephone harassement - which in my opinion, this reeks of - companies are out there to make money, and I realize that cold calls are necessary, but these type of businesses are RARELY doing us a service, and they are just calling anyone ;(

Brian

I just realized something. I have gotten both of those calls maybe a hundred times each over the years (that might be an exaggeration). So ... if the computers ARE generating "random" phone numbers, does that mean EVERY SINGLE NUMBER in existence has been called that many times too? (Averaged out)

I just realized something. I have gotten both of those calls maybe a hundred times each over the years (that might be an exaggeration). So ... if the computers ARE generating "random" phone numbers, does that mean EVERY SINGLE NUMBER in existence has been called that many times too? (Averaged out)

Not sure JDoors, but the number of times I have asked to be placed on the DNC list has increased, but these darn calls, you CAN'T be removed from, because they just keep calling and calling......I just now hang up on calls from the National Association of Police (They called at least 3 times in a week) - Wish I had a format command for the systems that call repeatedly and are scammers heheheheh ;)

Brian

Oh yeah, the Police Benevolent Fund calls. They have the added annoyance of making you feel guilty because, of COURSE we all support the police, and there's the nagging question of, will NOT supporting them lead to something bad, like being ticketed or something?

I read yesterday that the warranty call center may have made a BILLION calls! What is that? Like THREE CALLS to EVERY SINGLE PERSON ALIVE in the United States? Hang 'em!

Ohhhyeah, the car warranty and the credit card rate calls....I get them too and just hang up.

Side note to the Police Benevolant Fund calls (yup, I get those, too):

I frequently got calls wanting me to donate to the Fireman's Union Retirement or something like that (very similar to the Police Deal).

My Brother In Law was a volunteer fireman so I asked him about this company. He had no idea so he asked his Chief--HE had never heard of such a thing and his thoughts was that it was a scam. If this entity was supposed to help Firemen and Firemen don't know it exists, well, scam.

So Jdoors, don't feel guilty for not padding the pockets of the Police Fund!

Liz

Edited by blim

I get all of the above calls also. I have CID, so don't answer the phone. If you have CID, I'll bet you have had this phone# call you: 1-800-446-1022.

They have been calling me since 2006 twice a day for a couple of months every year, than stop until next year.

Here is a web site "Who Called Us?" and you can see some of the numbers that are listed may have called you. You can also put in a number and see what it says. Sometimes you get info on it from other people who have complained, sometimes nothing.

Who Called Us?

Regarding "Who Called Us?" That's EXACTLY why I don't have Caller ID, isn't that what Caller ID is SUPPOSED to tell you?!? Screw the phone company, after all, they're screwing you (if you pay for CID).

Regarding police and fire department charities. I've seen (a while ago) reports that those charites are legit, SORT OF. The amount of money they actually contribute to their causes is miniscule. Those charities contribute single digit percentages of the money they take in to their causes, while the vast majority of the money they take in goes straight into the pockets of the employees of the charities. The best charities have single digit percentages of the money they take in going to overhead, while the vast majority of the money goes to the causes they support.

So, they're legit, but just barely.