TymeKyller brought this up on another Forum. I thought it was of importance.

The ignore list in spybot contains several entries by default.

They are:

SideStep

New.net

LSP.New.net

MySearch

A responce was asked from Tom Coyotes:

These are specific infestations which it is not safe to remove with spybot, or most other automatic removal tools. If you have tampered with this list, it is probably safest to uninstall spybot, remove its folders and clean install and update it.

Of course, if you are clean and you immunize, you should be entirely safe , since they cannot infect you in the first place.

Newdotnet will break your internet connection if you remove it with something like spybot. Therefore they put it in the ignore box. Originally it did not do this, so spybot could safely remove it; but then the nefarious masters at newdotnet decided to modify it so that if you use spybot or adaware or something like that to remove it , it will break your internet access so you cannot go online.

So leave the checks there , the same applies to the other ignore items they have added.

They have to be removed manually , according to the installers instructions at their home page, or with special removal tools."

As for the DSO exploit, you can either fix or ignore things after you remove it.

Once removed , you are safe; so it is more an annoyance than a danger .

And no, neither spybot nor ad-aware is partnered with any malware foisters. The problem is that several malware authors responded to thye proliferation of automated removal tools by altering their products in such a manner as to make automated removal unsafe or extremely difficult.

Most of these are very obvious, for example newdotnet adds an add/remove programs entry which actually works.

Edited by JSKY

Thanks for bringing this information over to this board.

The thread on G4 that discusses this is on this link. Even a post there by Tom Coyote, along with the above quoted post from Pete C.

G4 thread about Spybot concerns

(Don't forget to immunize Spybot after updates folks. Click on the pizza pie looking icon on left, then the florescent green + sign in the window that opens.)

Stay safe folks.

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in the Spyware/Adware Removal section?

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
I'm kind of confused here. Why do you say to clean install spybot? Why can't you just go back in & recheck those things & leave it at that? I try to follow what the experts here say. I get a little confused though sometimes. :(

Good point!!

This is what was recomended by Pete C. If you are clean (and I think many won't have to worry). I really do not see any reason why you can't just check them to be ignored.

• 2 weeks later...