Wireless Network Problems

Hi all. First time poster-long time reader. I need some help with my wireless network. I have two machines, both running XP Pro. All updates and no ad/spy ware. The main computer is hardwired into a Linksys Wireless router which is connected to a cable modem. I have a Linksys wireless PCI adapter on the second computer. I have been able to establish an internet connection on both computers with no problems. What I can't do is setup any file or printer sharing between the two. I have run the Network Setup Wizard numerous times and all seems to go well, but when I open "My Network Places" there is nothing there. When I click on "show all computers in the workgroup," I get a message that says I do not have administrative previledges" or cannot connect to network. Can printer/file sharing be setup on a wireless network? If this can be done, could someone walk me through the steps. I have searched and read numerous articles from Google search-most just say to run the set-up wizard. Any help would be appriciated and might help save the little hair I have left.

Rick

I had a lot of trouble getting mine setup in a similiar configuration; same error message.

I don't know why this worked, but when I finally let the Network Setup Wizard create a floppy (instead of saying I'd run the Wizard on the other machine too) things started working.

-------------

I've seen it recommended that turning off any software firewalls until sharing is established might help.

Edited by CurlingSteve

Just to add to the other posts,

are you using a software firewall?

when using zone alarm firewall, I had to add the NAT IPs of each networked machine to each of the other machines trusted zone in zone alarm config...(ex. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3s trusted zone, and vice versa)....(just to test, I'd try disabling all firewalls to eliminate that as an issue)....not saying that it's the problem, but something else you could check.

hope it helps,

T.

Thanks for all the help, but to no avail. I do use ZoneAlarm Pro and have disabled them during setup. Printer and file sharing was turned on when I ran the setup wizard. I'm new to networking and apparently have not found the solution to this problem. Of course Linksys support was no help. The almost English speaking tech said that Linksys does not support printer and file sharing and referred me to an article that just said to run the setup wizard. I am confident that this network can be setup if I can just find the right combination. As I said in original post, these two machines are sharing the internet connection with no problem, but there is nothing in the Network Neighborhood. Could the firewall in the router be preventing this setup? Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

have you used any tools.. like ethereal or even ping the box.. first we need ot know if its making contact at all.

I knwo I have my wirless hub connect to a switch. But the time to live for wireless is to short to route through the switch.. I wach on ethereal and tcpdump all the packets but they are rejected by tcp/ip stack as dead.

if you need some tools. Knoppix.org.. or search ethereal as they have a windows version.. its free and the only way you cna trouble shoot these problems.

search for computers looks at the master browser and asks if they know the machines on the network. With that in mind ethereal is need if you do not see them (or tcpdump) to see the packets and responces the masterbrowser are getting.