Service Pack 2 Problem & Question For Ya.

Ok this is a new Dell 4600I. 3.0 Ghz. 1.5 gig of pc. 3200, 9800 ATI. pro, 120 gig HD. Running XP pro. Ok this is the thing with SP. 2 I have had it on this machine for just about 3 days and am thinking of getting rid of it already. The reason.... seems when the computer is off overnight and I turn it back on the next day when it boots up all seems good until what few things in the lower right side of the toolbar load up. Meaning my Norton AV. 2003 and my network connection for my cable. Well this is ware the problem is but it only does this after the comp has been off overnight and when I first start it up it wont load the network connection icon in the right side of the toolbar and the whole computer locks up. Even when I do ctrl. alt, delete. the task manager comes up I select for it to shut down and all it does is hang. My big question is the only way to get it too shut down is to hold in the power switch and then power it back up and the computer loads like nothing is wrong. Would powering my computer off once a day by the switch hurt anything ? This seems as my only problem with SP. 2. I did everything mentioned in the top thread about a safe SP. 2. i nstalled it on both comps, the download and install went off without a hitch but my Compaq on the otherhand will not run right at all, meaning it won't surf the net right. I am on cable and the Compaq ran like being on dial up Lol. I believe MS. has quite a few issues they need to address with SP. 2. and yes I downloaded it from windows update on both comps. Like I said I followed Cherokeechief's & Pete C.'s advice to the letter of the LAW.

Thanks for you're time. Shadow.

The only other thing I can think of is I am on a small home network and behind a U.S. Robotics router, but I did disable my AV. plus script blocking & firewall like suggested, and the XP firewall turned on.

Getting rid of SP2 is a good move. Unfortunatly it takes about 2 hours to get rid of Norton and unless you know exactly what your doing I wouldnt uninstall it, just turn it off (Norton is just as bas or worse than mcafee) Hanging at shut down is common with XP specially if its overclocked. You might look and see if thats what causing it.

btw nice comp you have : )

Shadow_Thomas;

The best and quickest way to remove Norton.

Is to use your Norton install disk. Run the disk as if you were going to install it. Choose to install the programs, it will come to a spot that tells you what will be installed. (has a drop down window showing AV, System Works, Norton Ghost, etc).

When you get to this point. Each program has it's own dropdown mini menu. Open up each one of these and put a check on "Do Not Install On Hard Drive".

Then proceade to install the programs. The disk will searce for and remove the programs you choose not to install and will remove them from your HHD.

I have done this to numerous PCs, and it leaves only a couple of harmless reg. files.

You won't have any of the so called problems with Norton showing up or telling you it is installed if you ever want to reinstall it later on. Then you can run a reg. cleaner to clean up any files left, but you really don't have to.

Also, I have a link to a fix for your connection, but will have to post it later tonight. (at work right now)

Is Norton set to scan on start up? If Norton can be allowed to do this it might be causing a conflict which is stopping the network connection loading and creating the freeze up. This all could be relative to SP2 trying to load it's own new security at the same time also.

you may have a power problem here

before you uninstall sp2

try this.open your power options ,

in your power options properties.there should be atab with AMP.open this and check the box.power management support

click- ok- apply then reboot your compt

marty