Broke My Linux

Uh oh! Newb may have just broken MDK 10.0 Linux. During install I configured with LILO to autoload KDE 3.2 desktop. Everything has been fine until.........Yesterday accidently shutoff power . Now during boot, something about loopback interface.....CUPS may not work properly. Then it only boots to '-bash' , which I believe is a shell. Then I need to log in under localhost.........then I need to log in as root.........then I need to enter KDE..... only then do I get my desktop. Then when I want out, I can only log out of the session. There is no option to shutdown the PC from KDE. I have to reenter the shell...and then 'shutdown -h now' . This is obviously not going to work over the long haul. If I damaged these files.......who knows what else? This is my practice Linux PC. I don't have any important files. Need advice about this:

I can only devote a limited time to learn about checking the filesystem and fixing it.

OR ....I can reload the OS in about 30 min.

What would you do?

Thanks for any help

I can only devote a limited time to learn about checking the filesystem and fixing it.

What would you do?

Well I'm no expert, real or imagined, but on two different occasions I found it necessary to reinstall. I didn't feel the least bit diminished. It was just a part of "my" learning curve. But like I said, I'm no expert. There are however several in this forum that are very generous with their time, and nobody gets flamed. I've been spending what I feel is an abundant amount of time learning (?) how to install a working DVD Player (xine) in my Suse Pro 9.1. I've had to uninstall twice. They say third time is a charm (oh-boy). Well good luck, and enjoy. Mad B) Mike

when you go to logout there is no shutdown????

try typing init 5 (mandrake may be telinit 5 insted of init) as root when you login.. or kdm insted of kdestart

if kdm is not running you will not be able to shutdown from kde..

if you can't spend the time to learn.. Windows is easy I hear.

init levels are some of the most powerfull tools in linux.. just think how fast video transcoding is if you were not using up memory with a GUI.

look at your /etc/inittab and make sure you are set to start at init level 5 not 3