I think there is the possibility of a thaw in US/Cuban relations. :thumbsup:

I'm sure that the GOP is up in arms over Obama shaking hands with Chavez. I think that Obama is making strides with Russia and Europe. Iran and N. Korea will be a challenge methinks.

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad and Tobago (CNN) -- President Obama said Friday he is seeking "a new beginning" in U.S. relations with Cuba.

Before addressing the representatives of 34 countries at the Summit of the Americas, Obama and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez saw each other and shook hands.

"Every one of our nations has a right to follow its own path," Obama told the assembly. "But we all have a responsibility to see that the people of the Americas have the ability to pursue their own dreams in democratic societies.

"Toward that end, the United States seeks a new beginning with Cuba."

Source- CNN

My Cuban neighbor insists that Fidel is dead and that the guy they trot out as him is a body double but obvious imposter. They say his brother Raul is a much more reasonable guy and could well be interested in setting aside old differences and working on better relations.

I like the Obama administration approach of trying to find common ground with the rest of the world and come together on things we can agree on. Rather than emphasizing our differences and seeing how many countries we can insult and make enemies out of it is nice to once again have countries acknowledging that they do indeed have at least some things they agree with us on and that we can talk civilly and work towards common goals.

Remember; Iran has upcoming elections in June

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_presi..._election,_2009

According to a poll conducted in late March 2009, Mir-Hossein Mousavi would take 52% of Iranian workers' votes in the election, defeating Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with 36%

It looks like the people of Iran are getting tired of the hardliners like "Momma I'ma nut job"spending all their money on a nuclear weapons program while they starve.

They see the Obama administrations willingness to open dialog with countries we have not worked with in a very long time as a chance to relax the rhetoric.

I like the Obama administration approach of trying to find common ground with the rest of the world and come together on things we can agree on. Rather than emphasizing our differences and seeing how many countries we can insult and make enemies out of it is nice to once again have countries acknowledging that they do indeed have at least some things they agree with us on and that we can talk civilly and work towards common goals.

Agreed. I also like Obama's approach. It is in the interest of the USA to ease the chill with Cuba and Venezuela. Isolationism and cold war rhetoric is a thing of the past.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Remember Bush cut off diplomatic relations with Venezuela because their President said he was the devil, an alcoholic and a very sick man ( I think there was a reference to F***ing a donkey). See all the benefits that has gotten us. It is nice that we have a President who does not let personal differences interfere with doing what is best for the nation. It looks like Venezuela will be sending us a new ambassador, and then we will be sending them one and we can actually start talking about our differences. Sure their President has policies and opinions most of us would not agree with; but he is the legitimately elected President of a democracy.

Does Obama's win negate the Constitution? No debate? No opposing views? No more balance of powers? Whoa. And nutjobs said Bush was a "dictator." :blink:

No, that was Bush's interpretation; that his election negated the US Constitution because he thought it is just a God Damned piece of paper. He repeatedly violated his oath of office and seriously degraded the Constitutional rights of US Citizens.

President Obama happens to be a Professor of Constitutional law and has repeatedly shown that he respects and values the US Constitution and will enforce it and obey it ; unlike his predecessor.

Bush should have been impeached and hung for high treason long before his first term ended.

No, that was Bush's interpretation; that his election negated the US Constitution because he thought it is just a God Damned piece of paper. He repeatedly violated his oath of office and seriously degraded the Constitutional rights of US Citizens.

President Obama happens to be a Professor of Constitutional law and has repeatedly shown that he respects and values the US Constitution and will enforce it and obey it ; unlike his predecessor.

Their policies are almost indistinguishable. Obama's policies seem to be worse in some cases, e.g. wiretapping.

Bush should have been impeached and hung for high treason long before his first term ended.

Bush didn't commit treason. Indeed, he's usually criticized for what was, at least superficially, essentially a 'War on Treason'.

• 2 weeks later...

On yesterdays speech President Obama brought up the site

http://www.opportunity.gov

redirects to

http://federalstudentaid.ed.gov/opportunity/index.html

which lists

New Educational Opportunities for Unemployed Workers

The President recently announced that unemployed workers receiving unemployment benefits may qualify for a special hand in paying for education and training. And aid can be significant: In particular, the Federal Pell Grant program can provide up to $5,350 for educational costs at community colleges, colleges and universities, and many trade and technical schools. This is only one example of several federal student aid programs available to assist unemployed workers.