Conflicting Information About Reader_s

I got Reader_S on my old laptop, had an antivirus run through it, the laptop is now unusable since so many of the system files had to be deleted. When I got the virus, though, I had my MP3 player charging. I've heard conflicting stories on the internet about whether or not Reader_S infects MP3 players and can travel through them to other computers. Does anyone know if this actually happens? Do I need to reset my MP3 player? I don't want to ruin my new laptop, too.

Edited by Dark_Nemesis_7

http://www.threatexpert.com/files/reader_s.exe.html

The Reader_s.exe attaches itself to other .exe files on your computer, thus making other programs a “breeder” for the virus. If you do a backup, which I recommend, I would forget about those types of files. The virus can be triggered again if you are trying to access a backed-up .exe file on your new install.

The virus doesn’t look good, can be downloaded many different ways, but since it attaches itself to .exe type files, it could be transferred through file sharing networks the fastest.

http://www.sukosaki.info/general/reader_se...ilable-for-now/

Besttechie hijack experts will be able to help you.

You are infected with a polymorphic file infector. This infection can and will infect all the machine's executable files .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html. Because there are a number of bugs in its code, it may create executable files that are corrupted beyond repair resulting in an inoperative machine.

Malware experts say that a Complete Reformat and Reinstall is the only way to clean the infection. This includes All Drives that contain .exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html files.

• Backup all your documents and important items only.
  • DO NOT backup any executable files (,exe .scr .html or .htm)
  • Do Not back up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that may contain .exe or .scr files
  • Reformat and Reinstall as outlined HERE

I suggest you do the following immediately:

• Call all of your banks, credit card companies, financial institutions and inform them that you may be a victim of identity theft and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.
  • From a clean computer, change *all* your online passwords -- for email, for banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, any online forums or groups you belong to.
  • DO NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer because the attacker will get the new passwords and transaction information.

I'm already done with the old laptop. I can't even log into it, it's a lost cause. I'm only concerned about plugging my MP3 player into a new laptop since it was charging when I got the virus initially. The only thing on it is music, but I don't know if Reader_s could infect it another way. I've already researched the virus and I knew that the laptop was a lost cause when it lost connection with the internet and my antivirus had to delete most of the system 32 files. I just want to know if I have to reset the MP3 player since I've heard other people say that they transferred it from computer to computer through one.

Do this

Hello

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.

Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.

In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.

Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO

• In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

• Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.

Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.

Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.

When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:

cd i386

copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32

exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.

Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

• 2 weeks later...