I AM a Firefox user..but have to use IE for certain sites. I had a problem that started about a week or so ago. Everytime I start IE and during any session with it...the window to work off-line always comes up. I go to File (on tool bar) and work off-line is checked. (like a default). Tried all scanners in safe mode etc..

I didn't download anything or do anything with settings. It just started one day. I restored to a few days before and it was gone....Haven't seen it until this morning. Doing my normal scanning and stuff last night. Thought I should check for Windows updates and there were 11 critical updates waiting to download. (Wasn't notified so something is wrong there too..but not worried about that.) I downloaded all of them...and then this morning....the work off-line problem started again. I don't ever question critical updates, so didn't look at each one. Can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be?? Maybe not any updates..just a coincidence...Hate to unintall them and install one at a time to see if one is the culprit if it's just a simple IE setting that I am missing.

Think I almost figured it out. I created a restore point before downloading 11 critical updates...Restored and the problem went away. I am going to download them one at a time to find out which one is the culprit and then see if there has been problems or a fix that one...It's getting bad when you can't trust critical updates put out by your OS. OOps ..just made myself laugh...

• 2 months later...

Hey Darren...

i'm also getting that window.i too associated it with the recent update .i also use another browser then IE...But i do open IE at least once a day. i really didn't want to take the route that you are taking to find which (if any) of the updates may be conflicting. i'm on dial up and the updates take me forever...lol ...(ok it seems like forever) Wasn't sure if it was unique to my machine and the update. Glad you posted. Sorry you're having trouble. Which XP do you use? i use HOME so i'm curious if it's a Pro or Home thing.

1) Open IE

2) Goto Tools

3) Goto Internet Options

4) Goto Connections

5) Do you have anything listed under 'Dialup and VPN Connections'? I didn't.

6) Click Add

7) Add the connection as needed for your setup

8) Set proxy settings; dialup settings; and automatic config if needed

9) Click 'Never Dial a connection' when the wizard is complete

10) OK out of all the settings

11) Close all IE windows open

12) Reopen IE

Subject: 'work offline' error box

If that doesn't work read this about changing the registry. Read the whole discussion.

Work Offline box appears

Edited by TheTerrorist_75