Virus Infection[RESOLVED]

Nice job your log looks clean!

Please use the following suggestions to help prevent reinfection.

• Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt3.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit3.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit3 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to beging the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

System Restore maintains a backup of your programs and may also backup infections, so please reset it to make a clean Restore Point.

Please do this:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer > click Properties > click the System Restore tab.

Check Turn off System Restore.

Click Apply > a window will pop up and ask if you really want to turn it off > click Yes.

Please wait a few moments to let it clear.

Now please remove the check from Turn off System Restore.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will be working again and will have a new Restore Point.

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people to help keep from getting infected again. As a note, all of the tools and utilities mentioned are either free or have free versions available.

SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep malware from installing on your system.

**Tutorial on installing & using this product can be found HERE**

Secunia Personal Software Inspector - Stay up to date on all of your applications with this powerful tool that will scan, detect, check, and secure the applications installed on your computer.

MVPS Hosts file - This handy download replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad/malicous sites. This prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out malware that like to reside in temporary folders.

Firewall A firewall is very important, in order to protect your computer from hackers. I notice that you don't have one installed! Therefore I recommend Comodo, Online Armor, or Outpost.

**Tutorial on Firewalls can be found HERE**

Internet Browser - Internet Explorer is not the safest not the fastest internew browser anymore. There are way better alternatives out there that are faster, more secure, and have many more useful features. I recommend Opera or Google Chrome

It is important to run only one of each type of protection program in resident mode at a time since conflicts can make them less effective. This would mean only one resident antivirus, firewall and scanning type of anti-spyware. Programs like Spyware Blaster and MBAM do not conflict with any of these since they don't have a real time scanning engine that would conflict.

Windows Updates - It is highly recommended to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Finally, I strongly recommend action-smiley-036.gifHow did I get infected in the first place? (by Tony Klein)

Good luck and safe surfing :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.