Media Players In Linux

I'm running a dual boot Suse-Linux with windows XP. The only reason I go into Windows is to use a media player. I've tried to obtain both Kaffien and Xine but I get told something about copyright infringement. I'm a brand new "newbie" and when I messed around with the MPlayer download, my computer and I got very confused. I don't want to have to go back to "Bill'$" program if I don't have to. But I am getting very frustrated. I'm waiting for a book called "Linux for Dummies", I am cluless. I've read a number of post here and I'm almost embarrassed at just how ignorant I am when it comes to computers. I guess that's part of the Micro$oft stategy, but I'm not buying it. I WANT to learn. All of the other problems I posted, I solved on my own, but this has me stumped. If anyone has anything for me, please keep it in the simplest terms. Thank you :unsure:

your using suse.. ... you will need to install ether again.. a quick google search will tell you what you need to do..

SuSE are scared of all the licensing issues surrounding Multimedia codecs and DVD decoding and such. So they distribute an old version of Xine with old codecs. Download the SuSE 9.1 packages for xine from packman.links 2linux.org instead. Also install the MPlayer stuff from there too.

http://packman.links2linux.org/index.php4?action=cat&cat=16

also from http://www.linux.com/howtos/DVD-Playback-H...tall.shtml#suse

3.5. SuSE

The YaST package program included with SuSE works only with official packages, and there are no official packages that support DVD. Therefore you will have to install the packages for all of the DVD software manually.

MPlayer and Xine packages for SuSE are available on the PackMan site. For MPlayer, you need the MPlayer, lzo, and xvid packages on that page as well as the "additionally needed binary packages" listed on the page for each package. SuSE 9.0 users should note that as of this writing the MPlayer package for SuSE 9.0 has a broken libsmbclient.so.0 dependency. You can work around this problem with the commands

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps MPlayer-1.0pre3-pm.1.i686.rpm

# ln -s libsmbclient3.so.0 /usr/lib/libsmbclient.so.0

To install Xine, you should download and install the libxine1-dvd and xine-ui packages from PackMan. Encrypted DVD support in Xine also requires installing libdvdcss from the VideoLAN site.

Ogle can be installed using the Red Hat RPMs from the Ogle site. SuSE 9.0 users who want to install the Ogle_gui package will also need to install orbit, gdk-pixbuf, gnome-libs, and libglade from SuSE 8.2.

VideoLAN users will need to download the Red Hat RPMs from the VideoLAN site and install them forcibly using rpm --nodeps. The VideoLAN packages also require XFree86-compat-libs and freetype from SuSE 8.2 in order to run.

links

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.8/rpm/redhat/

see main site for more help

Download the SuSE 9.1 packages for xine from packman.links 2linux.org instead. Also install the MPlayer stuff from there too.

http://packman.links2linux.org/index.php4?action=cat&cat=16

I'm currently running the Suse 9.1 Pro. I downloaded a "bunch of stuff from Packman and the files (Xine-lib-1.0.tar.gz,, and MPlayer 1.0pre6a-pm.2., i686.rpm ) are sitting in my personal files and that is where they will stay until I learn how to circumvent YAST and use command prompt. I'm afraid I know alot less than you think. You're instructions were still GREEK to me. :unsure:

All of the other problems I posted, I solved on my own, but this has me stumped. If anyone has anything for me, please keep it in the simplest terms. Thank you :unsure:

I still don't know how to bypass YAST but I'm not discouraged. I'm in a learning curve (mine happens to be wide and sweeping) I know that I will eventually figure all of this out. I also know that I can come here as well as a number of other websites and ask for help.I know that the only "stupid" question is the one not asked. Iccaros, I know I'll look back with some understanding of what your response was about. Just not today(Feb. 11, 2005) Thank you all

command as root

rpm -ivh ./<filename>

if they are in a folder by them selves you can do this

rpm -ivh ./*

any questions?

any tar.gz files

tar -zxvf <filename>

good reads for you are rpm and tar. Its not stupidity to not understand the Command line tools, MS has done their best to make sure people have no way of leaning how a OS works. so by hiding the command line you stop seeing the SO work. this is good in some places where people do not care. But Now you have so called windows Experst who have no clue what happens when they click something.

this is where linux is a good thing.. you have yast, great but now you see what happen when a company dictates what you can and can not do.

now some of use gentoo.. and every one said its hard.. but I promiss if learning linux is your goal you will learn more faster and not feel as dumb, because no one hides the OS in gentoo. there is a install guide not a install program.

plus you are not dumb, you ask..I just need more infromation on how low to go with instructions..

All of the other problems I posted, I solved on my own, but this has me stumped. If anyone has anything for me, please keep it in the simplest terms. Thank you :unsure:

I still don't know how to bypass YAST but I'm not discouraged. I'm in a learning curve (mine happens to be wide and sweeping) I know that I will eventually figure all of this out. I also know that I can come here as well as a number of other websites and ask for help.I know that the only "stupid" question is the one not asked. Iccaros, I know I'll look back with some understanding of what your response was about. Just not today(Feb. 11, 2005) Thank you all

iccaros is a systems administrator, Linux certified. He's a real Linux expert. The real deal. Any time I get stuck on Linux I'll ask iccaros or jcl.

These guys are pros. I'm proud to know them. They are what Linux is all about. I'm an advanced hobbyist, a Linux enthusiast. I've got a ways to go before I catch up with them.

This is why Linux works, you have dedicated people who care about this great OS. It's hard for M$ to compete with a philosophy of freedom and knowledge. :D

command as root

any questions?

Sometimes when asked for "root" I get denied other times it works. (?)

I've had some fun with the "super user" console, found (dir / mail) unopened e-mail pre-dating Suse install.

Tried some suggestions dealing with "rpm" packages, discovered KPackage and learned that I cannot download "libdvdcss" , there is a disclaimer at the Packman site that says "copyright in Germany is coming into force, therefore we can no longer provide libdvdcss".

Question: Is it possible to repartition my Hard drive without losing Windows XP or Suse Linux.

I have an 80 gig Western Digital W/ 2 partitions. I'd like to add another partition an install either FREEBSD or Gentoo. What do you think? I've been in the LVM configuration but don't want to do anything that would put either OS at risk (for now anyway). I went to the library Friday (02/11) and they are getting a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell" for me. I should have it by Tuesday.

I haven't made a lot of progress in the direction you pointed me in, however I am (learning) some things. Most importantly, I'm having FUN!

I'm a 53 yr old high school dropout. I've worked underground (tunnels and mines) for 31 years.

My areas of expertise are Harley's, welding and small (infantry) weapons systems.

This is all new to me and I like it. If I were a younger man I might think about going to school for computer forensics. I'll settle, now, to be somewhat fluid in Linux as a second language. I foresee a long relationship with this forum. Mad Mike :D

Hi Mike,

With me being new to linux, I wouldn't think of giving any technical advice...iccaros has got the linux smarts covered.

But libdvdcss is pretty easy to come by, I don't even think I've gotten it from the same place twice :)

HERE looks like a good place to start....It should be as easy as d/l'ing the first in the list (libdvdcss-1.2.8-2.network.i386.rpm)> double click> enter root password>let it install>start xine and watch a dvd.

hope it helps,

T.

your using suse.. ... you will need to install ether again.. a quick google search will tell you what you need to do..

I need some clarification here: "install either again", do you mean uninstall xine and re-install the Googled upgrade and/or reinstall Suse, ommitting the files for media players? Either/ or?

Tictoc provided a link that looks promising.

sorry.. yes you will have to uninstall suse's version of xine or kaffeine and install new ones..

remeber MS has no way of playing DVD's out of the box.. you have to install a DVD player in MS.. This comes with the MS version of libdvdcss..

problem ..no one has made a for sale DVD playing program..

if you live in the US.. you need to make people aware that the movie industry is tring to stop people from watching their movies.. I know this sound wrong.. but they what ot make money on the movie and on the player. they say its to stop people from stealing the movies....... please .. it because they collect a license fee on all autherised DVD player sales..

write congress and the FCC and explain the monopaly they are allowing to bhe created and the freedomes being taken away..

in the US history it has always been true, end users rights out weigh the rights of the corperation. but not now.. MR Hatch ® navadia is one that needs to go.

sorry my soap box......

but your problem is all because of these actions.

sorry.. yes you will have to uninstall suse's version of xine or kaffeine and install new ones.. .

sorry my soap box......

but your problem is all because of these actions.

Thank you for your fast reply, I used Kpackage to install something only to be told it already was there, which is OK because now I know what to use instead of YAST. I've got my own version of a "soap box" and I climb up on it from time to time. I'll get back to you soon. I'm going to buy "linux in a Nutshell" and read it.

post-11-1108438772.gif

sorry.. yes you will have to uninstall suse's version of xine or kaffeine and install new ones..

Well some success. I went to yast and uninstalled Xine. I followed the link provided by hitest and downloaded libdvdcss-rpm 1.2.8-1 network. i386.rpm, xine-lib - i586, xine-ui i586. I used the package manager to install them. I can watch but not listen, there is no audio. What is an "MRL"

Hey, we are only looking for progress here not perfection. I want to thank everyone on this forum that has offered their help. I wait to hear from (any of) you. Mad Mike

does audio work normally on your system.. have you palyed cd's or mp3's?

which program are you using ot do DVD's xine?

Everything works when I'm in Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Which program are you using to do DVD xine".

There is a URL on the front of the player: http://xine.sf.net.

Also the xine log viewer reads: cannot find input plugin for MRL [ dvd:/ ] .

:unsure:

Everything works in Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...which programs are you using to do DVD xine?"

There is a URL on the face of the "player", http://xine.sf.net

Also the xine logviewer say's: "cannot find input plugin for MRL [ dvd:/ ]

does any of this help you ?

As of Feb 16 I no longer have media player, I uninstalled everything (again). The last install was missing the Media Resource Locator. When I have time I'll do a more comprehensive search for EVERYTHING I need.

post-11-1108565748.gif

Edited by Mad Mike