Can't Watch Dvd's On My Laptop

I can't get the dvd player in my laptop to play dvd's

I keep getting a pop up saying that there is a problem between the player and the video board

The suggested fix is to check to see that the drivers are up to date and upon doing so, I get a message that

all the drivers are up do date and correct.

This must be a somewhat common problem because I get directed to M$'s site and their page describes the

problem and gives the same suggestions as I got from Toshiba's

My player is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRKD 08L ATA devise and my video board is (as installed) ATI Radeon X1250

I am running Vista Home Premium with all updates and service packs current.

Any ideas on what I could try to get this thing to play movies??

Download and install VLC Player and see if you can get it to play DVD's. It seems to handle DVD's better than some commercial software.

Wow----thank you for that idea!!!

I downloaded VLC and stuck a DVD in the drive and BAM!! it works!!

I've been messing around with this for weeks.

Thanks again!!

jim

Cool. I've been using VLC Player for DVD's for a while now. It can play a lot of other stuff too but I use different players for different things. CCCP + Zoom Player for video, Winamp for Audio, and VLC For DVD's.

Jimras:

Be advised that the Windows Media Player may NOT have the Media Player codecs for the playing of DVD's, and if that is the case, you should (and already have) download VLC player - I used it on one of our laptops to watch DVD's (Vista Business OS) and it worked fine :)

Brian