New to vista, trying to learn to help a friend with his vista mess, I am using windows vista and it keeps crashing, got hijackthis and can get to a log maybe if i reset, I had to download opera to run a browser to get this out, it seems that any windows programs will crash explorer, it crashes every five min or so, there keep poping up dll errors up when it restarts, then reg defender will pop up and say they are trojans, they have infected quite a few files not to many files will run without crashing. if i can get to a hack log I will post it, please help

Get on another computer, download a copy of Malwarebytes, found here. Drag the installer into a USB drive.

Install Malwarebytes onto the computer that is having problems

Update Malwarebytes (if possible) by clicking the update tab so your malwarebytes will have the latest signatures

Do a quick scan

At the conclusion of the scan please save the log to a place where you can easily find it.

Then run a full scan.

and save the log.

Download HiJack This if you don't already have it and do a scan. save the logfile to an easily identifiable place.

Then post the following logs in our HiJack This dept. Also you can (the admins will have to inform me of this) post the MBAM logs here.

Edited by darthvader

Is this a new machine which came with vista installed? Or is it an older machine which previously ran a different version of windows which you choose to "upgrade" to vista for whatever reason?

Has this machine always had this problem or did it just start crashing after an update or program installation?

Do you get a specific stop error and blue screen? If so copy it down in its entirety and post it.

Can you boot to safe mode? Safe mode with networking? Does it crash or is it stable in safe mode?