Trying To Install A Program On Vista Laptop

I received a laptop that runs Vista, and I am totally unfamiliar with it.

Most programs install fine, but hardwood Hearts refuses to. I emailed them, and they assure me it is compatible with Vista.

I get a message saying that the installer has stopped working, and I click to go online and find the solution, but it does nothing.

I know Windows installer is on here somewhere, and am wondering how to check and make sure it is running, or if it really is the program...

Well if you can install anything else, then the installer is fine.

Could be you have an older version of the program which is not vista ready.

Could be your install was canceled because something else was using the installer and you now need to use the windows installer cleanup utility to remove the traces of the failed install.

Could be that you have antispyware or antimalware or similar "registry lock" which is locking the keys this program needs to access / change to install.

Could be you do not have a full admin account or need to disable UCE, UAC, or DEP to install.

Well if you can install anything else, then the installer is fine.

Could be you have an older version of the program which is not vista ready. Hardwood CS insists it is.

Could be your install was canceled because something else was using the installer and you now need to use the windows installer cleanup utility to remove the traces of the failed install. Nothing else was running, and I don't know how to do that.

Could be that you have antispyware or antimalware or similar "registry lock" which is locking the keys this program needs to access / change to install. But wouldn't that prevent other programs from installing?

Could be you do not have a full admin account or need to disable UCE, UAC, or DEP to install. Don't know how to do that either.

I tried both suggestions, neither is there.

I don't have "run as admin" when I right click on command prompt.

I also can't find the Local Security Policy in the tools.

Vista Home Basic, if that makes a difference-I know there's some things that aren't available in Basic that are in Business, Ultimate, whatever.

Edited by CsrLiz344