1. Are you malware free? (download malwarebytes, update signatures, run a quick scan)

2. Does the internet currently work with any other browsers?

3. Please list your firewall/antivirus/security applications and make sure each one isn't preventing IE8 from accessing the internet.

Answering these three questions will help everyone eliminate a lot of unknown variables and make fixing your problem a lot easier.

IE8 is still not a final release it is still the first Release Candidate (RC1)

This means it still has bugs and they are trying to get people to encounter them and send in bug reports so that they can figure out what they are and fix them before they release it to everyone.

It is not as unstable as a beta release; but it is still not going to work for a lot of people.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...upport/faq.aspx

Release candidate software is at a stage in the development process where it is ready to be evaluated by users while it undergoes final testing.

Internet Explorer 8 RC1 is now platform and feature complete and this is your opportunity to be among the first to try out the new browser before its final release. Install it today and take it for a test drive. We think you'll agree that it's faster, safer, and easier to use than ever. If you don't like it you can easily uninstall it whenever you want. Uninstall instructions can be found at our support page for Internet Explorer 8 RC1.

To ensure your browser is up to date, all RC1 users will be automatically updated with the final version of Internet Explorer 8 via Windows Update so you'll always have the latest version of the browser.

We understand if you feel uncomfortable installing release candidate software. Check this website in the coming months to see when the final version of Internet Explorer 8 is available.

Internet Explorer 8 is a beta release and some websites may not yet be ready for Internet Explorer 8. Click the Compatibility View toolbar button to display the website as viewed in Internet Explorer 7. This option is on a per site basis and all other sites will continue to display with Internet Explorer 8 functionality. To go back to browsing with Internet Explorer 8 functionality on that site, simply click the Compatibility View button again.
There are many reasons that Internet Explorer could be encountering this issue. Some examples are connectivity to your ISP, a firewall blocking your connection, or your networking device not functioning properly.

Please visit our support site for instructions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

If you cannot navigate to this page, or do not have another computer in your home that can navigate to the site, you can contact Microsoft Support to assist with this issue.

1. Are you malware free? (download malwarebytes, update signatures, run a quick scan)

Yes, I have scanned it, and it seems fine.

2. Does the internet currently work with any other browsers?

Yup, Firefox is fine.

3. Please list your firewall/antivirus/security applications and make sure each one isn't preventing IE8 from accessing the internet.

Zone Alarm, Adaware, Spybot, AVG, Malwarebytes. IE7 worked good, so I'm thinking PP is correct, and it might just be IE8. I might take it out and go back a version and see if that works. If not, then.......

Answering these three questions will help everyone eliminate a lot of unknown variables and make fixing your problem a lot easier.

If your malware free, your other browsers have no problem connecting to the net, and you've checked and made sure that Zone Alarm, and AVG aren't blocking IE8, then most likely it's a problem with the version of IE8. Personally I'd just stick with firefox. If you're worried that sometimes the pages don't load correctly in firefox and you need them to run in IE8's rendering engine, then you can just use this addon for firefox and it should sort out your problems:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Yup, it was IE8. Reverted back to 7, and it works fine.

I actually do have FF as default, but there is a (paying) survey type site I use that doesn't support FF.

Guess they need to get with the times....

Thanks for y'alls help, I appreciate it!