Xp Wont Boot In Regular Nor Safe Mode Wont Get Past Welcome Screen

But from this guy's description of his problem he just is stuck on the blue screen and doesn't see the black one. That's why I'm almost certain it's a corrupted boot sector, because he isn't getting past the blue welcome screen.

Yes I see the "Welcome" screen and it is blue haha. I hit the name button that usually boots the pc to the desktop. It says loading personal settings or whatever then it just immediately says saving personal settings and takes me back to the blue screen.

When I hit ctrl alt and delete it just pops up a login box and not the task manager.

If the Repair Option is not Available

What should I do? Most important do not ignore the information below!

If the option to Repair Install is NOT available and you continue with the install; you will delete your Windows folder and the Documents and Settings folders. All applications installed that place keys in the registry will need to be re-installed and will require the original install media.

You should exit setup if the repair option is not available and consider other options. I have found if the Repair option is not available, you have a few paths I have listed below to try before XP requires a Clean install.

Another option to consider (since the cost of 100 + gig hard drives has dropped to well under $75) would be to disconnect the current hard drive and install a clean XP from retail disks or restore media to a new hard drive. You can then connect the original hard drive after configuring the jumpers to a slave drive. You can retrieve important files. One thing to remember, if a hard drive has not been formatted or written over by reinstalling, the data is accessible. The less you access a hard drive after a non-boot episode; the better your chances of retrieving your data.

Very important!!

If you still have the ability to access the Windows XP installation, backup all important files not restorable from other sources before attempting any recovery console or other trouble shooting attempts.

Possible Fix by reconfiguring boot.ini using Recovery Console.

1.Boot with XP CD or 6 floppy boot disk set.

2. Press R to load the Recovery Console.

3. Type bootcfg.

4. This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see the XP OS

install.

5. Try the repair install.

One more suggestion from MVP Alex Nichol

"Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option and if the CD letter is say K: give these commands

copy K:\i386\ntldr C:\

copy K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(two other files needed - just in case)

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

which will get rid of any damaged boot.ini, search the disk for systems and make a new one. This might even result in a damaged windows reappearing; but gives another chance of getting at the repair"

Tell me if this works for your repair option.

But from this guy's description of his problem he just is stuck on the blue screen and doesn't see the black one. That's why I'm almost certain it's a corrupted boot sector, because he isn't getting past the blue welcome screen.

Yes I see the "Welcome" screen and it is blue haha. I hit the name button that usually boots the pc to the desktop. It says loading personal settings or whatever then it just immediately says saving personal settings and takes me back to the blue screen.

When I hit ctrl alt and delete it just pops up a login box and not the task manager.

Okay; that sounds like a corrupted profile

Try this

Boot to safe mode (when you first power on start tapping F8 once a second until you get a startup options menu and choose safe mode)

If necessary do the ctrl+alt+del to bring up the login screen and login with user name Administrator.

If you have not password protected this hidden master account (it is not your normal account, this one is normally only available in safe mode) leave the password blank. Otherwise enter the password you selected for this account.

If this allows you to boot to safe mode, you can now go to control panel => users => common tasks => add a new user and add one with full admin priveleges. DO not give it the same name and password as your normal account.

Then restart and login to the new acccount.

If that works then we can talk you through recovering your data from the corrupted account or repairing it from the new account.

I have had three computers in the last month with that same issue. I am pretty certain it is the same spyware infection causing the damage. No matter what account you would log into, including the administrator account, it would start to log in, then immediately log out. I have even pulled the hard drives out and tried to clean them using a usb-ide adapter with no luck. I had to reload all three of them. I would love to hear a solution(short of reloading or running a repair install) to this issue.

I have had three computers in the last month with that same issue. I am pretty certain it is the same spyware infection causing the damage. No matter what account you would log into, including the administrator account, it would start to log in, then immediately log out. I have even pulled the hard drives out and tried to clean them using a usb-ide adapter with no luck. I had to reload all three of them. I would love to hear a solution(short of reloading or running a repair install) to this issue.

Yes, there is a new variant of Virut out which trashes so many windows files that if removed you cannot login and the only fix is a repair install followed by another malware scan and if needed another repair install.