Dc Plug For Toshiba Laptop

Have my daughters Toshiba Satellite M50 A55-S106, the dc connector/plug on the end of the cord that connects to the laptop is bad. Cable and the rest of the assembly test good, just a bad end. Ends/plugs are cheap and fairly easy to order from online electronics stores, but how do you measure it? Plugs I find usually have a measurement like 2.5mm x 5mm. Is the inside of the plug (positive) the smaller measurement and the outside the larger (measured with calipers) ? Noob question, but want to get the right one. Bought a new power cord, but would like to fix the original and keep it for a spare. post-215-1235454906.jpg

post-215-1235454995.jpg

I only have casual knowledge of components (worked at Radio Shack twenty years ago): The larger measurment is the length, the smaller is the diameter.

Plugs are "fairly" standardized so there aren't so many different sizes you'd have to specify inside/outside diameters AND the length.