I'm in the process of ordering a new laptop from Costco. They let you custom order HP's and it comes with a free 2yr warranty and still cheaper than Best Buy. My problem is, I'm not sure if I should go with intel or AMD. I know everyone's going to say go with intel but the AMD is cheaper. This is going to be used for work and watching videos, no gaming.

The two CPU's I'm thinking of are:

AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80 (2.1 GHz)

or

IntelĀ® Core2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0GHz)

I've tried looking for info on comparing them but can only find old data (2005-2007). Nothing current. Is there going to be differences in performance between the 2?

I'd really like your advice on this. Thanks

I am sure the AMD is slower on head to head benchmarks, but for what you are doing, it has plenty of power. I would support AMD. Imagine if they went out of business, then we would be paying a small fortune for the intel procs. Plus you are saving money.

for most uses you will not notice any difference.. the intel may have better battery life, but there are other factors that may keep the AMD at a par for battery life..

I would use the AMD if you are not gaming (your video chip has way more impact on most games anyways)

and get more memory for the money

The rest of the specs between the two are for the most part the same. 4GB of Ram, 320GB HD, Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS. and dedicated video cards.

The Intel gives you the choice of a (IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD or 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS for the Intel. (Not sure which to get)

or

The AMD system which has a ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.

There's about a hundred to one fifty differences between the Intel and AMD models. I also heard that AMD's run hotter than the Intel.