Drives Fail Fsck (lenny 5.0 Installed After Failing To Retrieve Files On The Affected Drives)

I turned off the server the other day, and Now I cant mount the drives at all: I need to know how to repair all of my filesystems because they were not clean....Does anyone know how to easily repair the drives?? I want to scan them all and fix them, but i need to mount /dev/sda2 and fsck said it couldnt read block 32781. Is there a way to repair this bad block so I can remount the drive and move my files, or at least repair it until I can get a replacement drive for the server?? I want to remount all drives and I think /dev/sda2 is the one who is stopping the works

Brian

Edited by baker7

Shanenin:

Problem is I dont think I can download anything to the drive, and I would need step by step instructions to correct the problem on the bad block - this is the first time this has happened to me :( I thought fsck would fix all drives for me, but maybe I do not know how to do it :(

Brian

what is the file system type.. and can you post the error (this is remote right?)

you may have to go to a backup superblock

if its ex2 or ext3 trymke2fs -n /dev/sda2

you can not fsck a mounted drive..

if you have another computer on that network you could http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/knoppix/index.html

boot knoppix or any other bootable cd from grub, but you need another system with tftp

e2fsck -cy /dev/<drive>

should fix bad blocks

Talked to D(an) at D&K this afternoon, who installed the debiian (elive) and he says that this server is RAID, so he said that he would look at this, as he believes that all I wouild have to do is to go into the raid array program to fix the drives, as they are hot swappable - I don't really want to do much more fixes on this until he looks at the situation - which means he will also take care of the Horrible fan Buzzing that is happening because of the casing.

Will keep you advised.

Brian

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone ;)

This week, I was informed that my debian 4.0 (Etch) loaded server had suffered a failure because the RAID card inside had a dead battery, which caused the RAID Array to forget about the drives that were connected to it, so Dan replaced the RAID card in my server with one from one of the several his, and when I arrived, he had already had started the process of rebuilding the array - after several attempts to rebuild it, I just relented and reinstalled Debian.

This tme, I am using Debian 5.0 (Lenny Stable) and have installed it with as much of the older stuff that I can, and I have also installed webmin 1.480 for admin tasks as I find it easier to do some of the tasks using it. Dan and I configured it so that I can VNC into the machine at this time, and I can run web services on port 80, and as I continue, I will be able to shell into her when the proper ports are forwarded.

So, at least I know what caused the problem - Now I Just want to make sure I have everything installed and working correctly in Lenny - I will keep everyone advised as I continue on ;)

Brian

SPLIT THIS POST INTO 2 POSTS BECAUSE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO GET ASSISTANCE WITH THE NEWEST PROBLEM IN A NEW POST ~ Brian

Edited by baker7