OK I have a mouse, two as a matter of fact. if I plug them in with the keyboard, using the usb on the keyboard that is. no issues.. IF I try to just plug in the mouse it keeps saying it can not find the driver for a web browser mouse.. what kind of POS operating system is this.. is sad but I am stuck with this OS for work.. so if any one knows how to fix it please let me know

Have you tried using every usb port on your computer or just the one you're mentioning. Try using your mouse on every single usb port on your computer. If it is only working on your keyboard usb drivers then that leads me to conclude that you haven't installed the USB drivers for your mouse. Sometimes a disc with the drivers comes with your machine, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't simply google this: "YOUR MOUSE BRAND AND TYPE usb drivers"

Find an appropriate download of your drivers. Download them. Then extract and install. If you have a disk then you can right click your computer click properties, click hardware tab, then click device manager.

Scroll down until you come up on a driver with a yellow question mark and click update driver. Try first updating it automatically if this does not work do it manually and be sure to navigate to your driver files using the browse button. After this you should have no problems.

no I solved it, its a known issues with Vista (and windows 7), Vista will try to install a usb mouse as a browser mouse, what ever that is instead of a HID mouse.. you have to manually change the device in the device manager to a HID mouse..

Leave it to MS to screw up mouse detection..

stupid windows..

by the way the Mouse brand is Microsoft..

wow vista really sucks. every time I change usb ports with any usb mouse it makes me repeat this... so it must be an issue with Vista and new usb ports as this is a new dell 6500 and 64 bit vista, but 32bit windows 7 is doing the same thing..

if anyone else has this issue, when you plug in the mouse pick to manually find drive adn pick driver from list, go to mouse and HID compliant mouse.. now each time you change usb ports it may have to redo these steps..

http://www.develop4.net/how-to-fixing-your...oblem-in-vista/

you would think MS would have fixed this issue.. I mean a Mouse is semi important in windows..

It seemed like most of the reports I found were from 1H '07 and most of those from a two or three month period. It's possible that it's been fixed but the fix hasn't been applied to your machine for some reason. (Does WU update drivers that are installed but not in use?)

I am wondering if this is a case where the mouse keyboard combination were designed to work together and normally the firmware on the keyboard manages the mouse .

When you connect the mouse directly it needs to have a driver installed first or it will be mis identified. IE the mouse in and of itself is not fully HID compliant; it is designed to use the keyboard driver.

Normally, the mouse and keyboard are not in constant communication with the cpu.

They work by "polling" where the cpu periodically asks them what input they have.

Thus they have a small built in memory which the PC uploads instructions to and on which they store the data from your actions until the PC asks for it.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mouse9.htm

Some PC keyboards and mice are designed to work together to give you more options for input. For example, the Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 comes with a keyboard that has scroll, pan and zoom capabilities. The mouse includes the same features, so that you can use either to perform these functions.

Basically what this means is that when the mouse is plugged into the keyboard it is viewed as part of the keyboard giving the keyboard enhanced functions.

no they are two different brands, Microsoft Mouse Dell Keyboards, but good theory.. Plus its just a USB hub un the keyboard, very few make HID only usb hubs anymore. Its a defective mouse detection system.. I have plugged in now 6 different mice, Ranging from Logictec to Dell, Two Microsoft Mice and even a Mac Mighty Mouse (That was for fun to see what would happen)

I have all the WU but I am not sure how it handles drivers.. and this could be something they fixed in 32bit world but ignored in 64bit. Windows 7 Beta has the same issues on this laptop, so maybe its a bad driver for this dell laptop, my old 630 did not have this issue with vista (32)