Can't Connect To Bittorrent

I recently moved into a new apartment complex which provides "high speed" (512k) ADSL internet. Pretty bad, but enough for most stuff.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is bittorrent. Piratebay, what.cd, and other trackers like openoffice or linux distros might connect after several hours of waiting. Demonoid won't connect at all, ever.

It seems to be an error connecting to trackers, as I almost always get a "connection refused by peer", "connection timeout" or "tracker offline" error in uTorrent. For a while I was trying different http proxies which might have helped piratebay connections, although that might be anecdotal as it didn't last long.

I know it's connection side, as it's the same for my laptop and desktop and they both worked fine at the previous apartment.

We've got a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router between us and the modem. I don't believe that's the issue as plugging directly into the modem doesn't help.

I'm rather weak on networking so I'm not sure where to jump to from here. Any help much appreciated.

Many ISP's have torrent blocking and I read recently the Pirate Bay is in some hot water right now. I stay away from pirate sites like that any way. I only ever go to AnimeSuki and TokyoToshokan for torrents.

PS: Not trying to be mean, but I cannot offer you any solutions since it appears some of the stuff you mentioned seem to be for pirated content. That's why ISP's have been blocking torrent traffic.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I do not condone any downloading of pirated files but if you wish to visit a site to download legitimate files that are not copyrighted then I suggest using a proxy to bypass your ISP's blockage of that site.

Simply go to www.fire-proxy.com, type in the site you wish to visit, and visit it.

Proxy browsing is usually slower, this one is pretty respectable and it doesn't bombard you with advertisements.