Help With A Blog, How To Make It Blog.website.com

I'm helping to make a blog for the company i intern at and they were wondering how one would make the URL for the blog be

blog.advantages.net . Essentially they want to use a blog site like blogspot or wordpresss and have the url for it be blog.advangates.net also how do you create the url something.webstie.com as in how do you put a word in front of your website name for your url. Which in my case would be blog.advantages.net

Thanks

Jon

Just need to register your name with someone like Go Daddy. If the name is available you pay them a few dollars pre year. Then you just point the url at the blog url, there are tools to do this at Go Daddy and others takes just a few minutes to set up.

And you won't be able to use a domain with a . in it. And edit out the domain you want in your post or someone could register it before you do in hopes to sell it to you.

Just need to register your name with someone like Go Daddy. If the name is available you pay them a few dollars pre year. Then you just point the url at the blog url, there are tools to do this at Go Daddy and others takes just a few minutes to set up.

And you won't be able to use a domain with a . in it. And edit out the domain you want in your post or someone could register it before you do in hopes to sell it to you.

I agree: Godaddy has alot of sales on domains, and when it was time for me to get a renewal, I registered a new domain, and transferred one from yahoo to godaddy. It is pretty easy to do, and if you transfer a domain, it takes from 5-7 business days for everything to straighten out. I think I paid $22.00 for both domains.

You should remove the domain you placed here, as Isteve states, because someone may swipe it away from you. If you registered it already, then you should be OK, but I would register it first.

Good Luck!!

Brian

I'm helping to make a blog for the company i intern at and they were wondering how one would make the URL for the blog be

blog.advantages.net .

If you work for Advantages you should ask their IT people to create a subdomain. If they don't have IT people or their IT people don't know how to create subdomains, the company should hire (better) IT people. They should also hire a Web designer. Immediately.

If you don't work for Advantages you should ask your employer to buy advantages.net and then proceed as above.

• 4 years later...

Yeah, it sounds to me like you're looking to create a subdomain. If the host you're using has CPanel, you can create one from there. Otherwise, you might need to peek in at your host's support documents to learn how to do it. Creating a subdomain is the same as creating a whole new website basically: blog.website.com will be looked at as a completely different site than www.website.com, and it won't receive any of the SEO benefits for being associated with the main domain name.

After you create the subdomain, you can install WordPress (or your platform of choice) to blog.website.com. When you're shown a list of the websites you can install to, that site would show up right along with the other domains (website.com, website1.com, etc.).

I know for a fact that sites created on WordPress.com can be upgraded (different fees for different upgrades) to use a custom domain name. Not sure about Blogger, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also had this feature.

If you're looking at installing WordPress on your own server, it does not necessarily have to be installed on a subdomain in order to be used as such. The latest version of WordPress has multi-site management already built in and creating separate blogs on subdomains is easier.

You can set up Wordpress to be in a directory other than the root - This is how buddy-baker.us/blog is set up - there are a lot of help topics in the wordpress support pages, and I lnow for a fact that there are lots of cool plugins you can use. If you want to install it on your own server though, make sure to read all of the instructions, and follow them EXACTLY, because you can make mistakes that can cause problems. The Famous 5 Minute Install Should help you if you want to install it on your own server.

Good Luck!!

Brian