Looking For Help/n00b

Hey guys, I'm new to pretty much everything, but extremely enthusiastic about building my site.

I was given 50 gbs free, and am using ftp for firefox...and when I say new to everything, I mean I'm new....

html

xhtml

css....

java.

Its all something I want to learn, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I have found some good tutorials, and free open source software, but I'm looking for something LIKE dreamweaver(take into account I'm DEAD broke)

If you guys happen to know of any good programs FREE that function like Dreamweaver and have powerful site building components please link me <3

Thanks! :ph34r:

Edited by JMT23

All you need to know to build a decent looking website is HTML and CSS.

Go to the book store and buy "The Missing Manual HTML" and "The Missing Manual CSS". IMO these are the BEST guides out. They assume you know nothing and go from there with very easy to follow lessons. You need to learn HTML for a good foundation, then move onto CSS.

Next google and download "NVU". It seems to be the preferred, freeware HTML editing tool.

Goodluck

• 3 weeks later...

A great site to learn the basics is W3Schools.

Other free WYSIWYG editors inclue KompoZer, Aptana and Amaya. However, if you are really interested in getting down to the coding level, then nothing beats a good text editor. Some great ones are HTML-Kit, Notepad++ Notepad2 and PSPad.

Edited by Falcon1986
  • 4 weeks later...