A Walk Down Memory Lane

Since I didn't even really know about linux until maybe '04, most of those on the list were quite a few versions later. But if IRC, my first distro was RH (not sure what version), then Mandrake, then just played around with every other (deb, gentoo, slackware, blah blah blah) that I could manage to install until finally sticking with (X)ubuntu.

However, if you want to know the first ssytem I learned Unix on, It was Tallahassee Freenet, which I still volunteer for, and I 14 Years of Service with Them - It was also the place I had my first shell :)

Brian

In 2000 I was using Yellow Dog I think 1.1 on a 350Mhz imac. Then os x was released and good by Yellow Dog. Wonder if anyone is still updating the old dog.

Yep, Yellow Dog is still around:-) Looks cool. I'll give it a try some time at work if I can find an old mac.

http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded it still haven't installed it yet. Been working on moding a small blackheart guitar amp while drilling a hole for a line out jack I drilled through a capacitor... more work then I intended. Also replaced carpet in living room.

Maybe saturday night.

Posting this from my Dual G4 running Yellow Dog. Using gnome desktop right now because I'm more familiar with it can't figure out how to get the wireless working got it plugged into Ethernet port on my macbook and sharing macbooks wireless.

My blog post about the install so far. http://isteveblog.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/old-yeller/

Posting this from my Dual G4 running Yellow Dog. Using gnome desktop right now because I'm more familiar with it can't figure out how to get the wireless working got it plugged into Ethernet port on my macbook and sharing macbooks wireless.

My blog post about the install so far. http://isteveblog.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/old-yeller/

Very cool! :matrix:

I think the first Linux distro I played with was Knoppix... from there I went with Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog). I use Debian for my dedicated server. I've also experimented with other distros such as ArchLinux, OpenSUSE, etc.

B

Its been pretty much to same for me too. My first experience with linux was the auditor live cd ( based in knoppix).

I guess I was learning to be a bit of a script kiddie following a guide on how to crack my wireless network using linux.

Couple years later and I started using ubuntu and ive been on it since. I use debian for my server and im messing around with gentoo a little in my free time.

Its been pretty much to same for me too. My first experience with linux was the auditor live cd ( based in knoppix).

I guess I was learning to be a bit of a script kiddie following a guide on how to crack my wireless network using linux.

Couple years later and I started using ubuntu and ive been on it since. I use debian for my server and im messing around with gentoo a little in my free time.

I run Debian and Ubuntu a lot at work as they are durable distros that are easily maintained. At home I run Slackware and once in awhile I'll also play with FreeBSD.