How Do You Pick The Best Ram?

So far I know that the RAM you buy is mainly limited by your mobo and your os. Like the mobo has a certain number of pins it can take. and the os can only support up to so much ram. So im not really interested in that information, but more like the the speed. I was reading that Cas latency is important, but then i see these like 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) with cas 8-8-8-24 triple channel kit. and then I have 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) 2-3-3-6 is mine crap compared to that 6gb? Haha I feel like I'm asking a stupid question but when buying ram should i be looking for speed first and then cas? and how much does cas really affect the speed? like from a 2 to a 9

edit: And also how do you adjust those settings in the BIOS to overclock it?

Edited by Yamo

When we had a PC Club and got an old donated PC in, most of them didn't have much ram in them. We would basically double the ram, reinstall the OS, install AVG, and ZA as the firewall and a couple of programs like Spybot and SpywareBlaster (after doing a complete wipe of the HD). To keep from spending much money on these PC's, we would buy the cheapest ram that we could get as long as it was the same ram or at least backward compatible ( Example, 133 to 100) and go from there. Never had a problem with any of them coming back. I would do the work and then use the PC as my own for a week or so before giving it the OK.