Microsoft Antispyware Tutorial Part I

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Version 1.0 Beta) Tutorial

Tutorial Part I

Microsoft AntiSpyware is an Anti-Spyware program such as Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware SE

It finds problems such as: BarginBuddy, and the CoolWebSeach parasite. This is a tutorial that lists all of the features of Microsoft AntiSpyware and how to use them.

Installing Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Download Microsoft AntiSpyware from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en. Double-Click the installation icon.

When the Microsoft AntiSpyware intaller launches, click the "Next" button.

In the next screen are the "Licence Terms". Please read these and click "I accept the terms in the licence agreement". Click "Next"

Choose which folder you wish to install it to. Click Next. On the next screen, review your settings and click "Next". This will install the product.

Using Microsoft AntiSpyware for regular use.

Now that you have installed the program, Double-Click the Microsoft Antispyware icon on the desktop.

The welcome screen will come up. Choose whatever options appeal to you. Note: Updating the software is recommended.

If you do not pick to run the spyware scan in the welcome screen, choose so at the main window. Do this by clicking the "Run Quick Scan Now" button.

After it runs (it may take a while on a big Hard Drive), if it finds anything select what you want to do with the file (Good idea to select remove), and then "Continue".

It will bring up a popup window reviewing the items you want to remove. If all is correct, press "Yes".

Intro to Advanced Features in Microsoft AntiSpyware

At the main screen, press the "Advanced Tools" button in the upper-right corner of the screen. This will bring up the Advanced Tools section.

Browser Hijack Restore Button in the Advanced Tools section.

If you click on the Browser Hijack Restore button, will bring you up a list of your Internet Explorer Settings. There you can restore all of your Internet Explorer settings back to Microsoft's settings.

If you change a setting that you have personally put in there, go back into Internet Explorer and change them.

The "System Explorers" Button

Here you can find lists of Downloaded ActiveX controls, Running Processes, Startup Items, Internet Explorer BHo's (Browser Helper Objects), IE Settings, IE Toolbars, Window's "Host" File, Winsock LSP's, and Shell Execute Hooks.

These are divided into 4 sections labeled, "Applications", "Internet Explorer", "Networking", and "System".

I will be going through all of the sections in the follow-up.

dk :)

Edited by dknoppix