I am trying to run some commands in my shell that require the sudo command. For whatever reason, it is not excepting my root password. Any ideas why?

edit added later//

I can use the sudo command from my admin account, but that seems dumb. Shouldn't I be able to run a shell from any user account and use sudo?

Another thing that seems different from what I am used to. I am not able to su to my admin account from a shell started from my regular user account. Is their some thing similar to Linux, like adding the user to the "wheel" group?

I am trying to run some commands in my shell that require the sudo command. For whatever reason, it is not excepting my root password. Any ideas why?

sudo takes the password for the account you're logged into, doesn't it? I've only seen it ask for a root password once.

I can use the sudo command from my admin account, but that seems dumb. Shouldn't I be able to run a shell from any user account and use sudo?

Check /etc/sudoers. From a quick google it appears that only admins can sudo by default.

Dug this out of my big list of darwin commands, this use to get me into Super User from non admin account by

su <admin name>

sudo <command>

password: <admin password>

I haven't tried it in a long time because I have been running with just one account.