Questions Regarding Knoppix/linux

ok,

I know you will all say yes use it, but here is my quandry. i use my computer at home for more then forum work, and playing games. I also use it for work related stuff.

My question is this,

is Knoppix/linux compatible with most programs out on the market?

Also does this OS have a built in fax program like windows?

and another one, is Knoppix/linux that hard to get used to?

i'm sure I will have more questions as I go on thinking about this idea. Not to mention being able to put my wife at ease, she is a Windows Junkie, she doesn't even like using a browser unless it is IE, I personally always use my Mozilla browser.

Efwis,

Note: I'm an answering for Linux in general, I have never used Knoppix

It's not as easy as being "compatable", you cannot just install MSOffice on a Linux machine and have it run. However, there are programs out there like KOffice and OpenOffice.org that perform the same functions and can read files from MSOffice programs.

Many distros have utilities pre-installed, many of them have fax programs.

For the easiest transition I recommend you use (at least for now) a distro like SuSE Pro. It has an install process similar to Windows, which is more many Linux Distros can say. There is also very little need to switch into a console, unless you want to do some learning. This distro is not for the hardcore linux users though, so you may end up switching if you want to learn more.

well knoppix is very easy to use. If you like it you should get linux because you cant run cds on knoppix, unless you have 2 cd drives.

About the compatibility...

There is a windiws "Emulator" that opens windows programs on knoppix. I've never been able to use it, but I'm sure you can figure it out :)

I dont think its Wine or anything...

On knoppix kernal 3.6 or something like that if I remember correctly

on the linux/knoppix toolbar theres like a thing called

Emulators

and in that theres one thats like.. Windows Emulator

It doesn't have a real name like Wine or anything, it just came with Knoppix.

And another thing... Knoppix isn't really all that compatiable on its own (My Kernal anyway). There are alot of emulators that you can download which will make Knoppix work much better...

ok I'm donloading Knoppix Live CD right now. if my wife likes it I will be going over to Linux full time. so be prepared for a major influx of further questioning should that happen.

ok I'm donloading Knoppix Live CD right now. if my wife likes it I will be going over to Linux full time. so be prepared for a major influx of further questioning should that happen.

Just to confirm a few things that Gwyrox and the others said:

With knoppix (at least the one I downloaded from soundforge) comes many programs, among them OpenOffice, Mozilla, GAIM (multiple IM clients consolidated into one), QTparted (a partition manager), GIMP (image editor) and many more. I've heard this statement many times, and as i further explore the unix/linux world, i am more and more agreeing with it: For every windows programs, there is a linux counterpart.

Just a few examples:

MS Office:OpenOffice

Trillian:GAIM

Photoshop:GIMP

Partition Magic:QTParted

The list goes on and on....

I am by no means a linux expert, but i have adapted to knoppix pretty well...

Knoppix is a nice way to get your feet wet with Linux without installing anything to your hard drive or damaging your windows partition.

If you like Linux and want to install it then I suggest an rpm distro like Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse would be good choices. These distros are simple to install, and network.

If you do decide to install Linux I recommend that you first go to the website of the distro of your choice and check to make sure that your PC hardware is Linux compliant. Most distro websites have hardware compatibility lists. In other words ensure that your video card, modem, NIC, CD ROM drive, etc., will be recognized by your distro. The modern distros are very good at identifying PC hardware, but, it doesn't hurt to check. That way you won't have nasty surprises when you do your first install. Read, read, before you install :D

I suggest an rpm distro like Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse

I understand that you are naming the easiest distros for a newbie to get along with, but I've tried Mandrake and SuSE 9.1 and here's what I've found out: it doesn't help you transition from Windows, it tries to be just like Windows. I don't even think SuSE came wtih gcc+. And I couldn't install ANYTHING (even using YaST2) because SuSE installs things in odd places so I'd get all kinds of errors (like not having x installed?).

I suggest an rpm distro like Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse

I understand that you are naming the easiest distros for a newbie to get along with, but I've tried Mandrake and SuSE 9.1 and here's what I've found out: it doesn't help you transition from Windows, it tries to be just like Windows. I don't even think SuSE came wtih gcc+. And I couldn't install ANYTHING (even using YaST2) because SuSE installs things in odd places so I'd get all kinds of errors (like not having x installed?).

I've heard similar complaints about Suse before.

My advice is geared towards someone just starting out with Linux. Not someone who's an experienced user. Mandrake, Fedora, Suse are good choices for beginners. We want to get people to buy into Linux, right?

yes, but with Fedora (and in most cases SuSE, though i think they've also got a public ftp?) you've gotta shell out the cash. I suggest getting aquainted with knoppix and other liveboots and moving on to something of an intermediate-type level. (I moved on to a stage2 install of gentoo...but that's a different story :P ) But maybe something like Debian, or yes, i suppose Mandrakelinux would be alright.

After all of the errors with SuSE, I was nearly discouraged from delving any further into the Linux Universe. Though, i suppose, in the end, it also motiviated me to move on to a "real" linux distro.

yes, but with Fedora (and in most cases SuSE, though i think they've also got a public ftp?) you've gotta shell out the cash.

Fedora's free.

Yep, Fedora's free. Great distro, the free version of Red Hat.

hi hitest is fedora easy to configure your modem.

unlike mandrake .lycoris. and ubuntu you need to know the.

the console commands to configure your modem.and if you cant get on line.

i have mandrake 10 .and 9.1

lycoris . and now ubuntu.and ive only been on line whith man.9.1

then i had to be walked throughthe setup on the phone fromm 200 miles away.

at the time i had a duel boot with xp.

but once i seperated them.

i lost the connection and havent been able to get it back.

with lycoris it i9s a commercial version of a linux product.

if you want to get support you have to pay.and if you want to .

install software you pay and you also need to have product key to be able to down load .

ubuntu is a bit better every thing is free .

i recieved 10 disks to give away to every one i know which ive done but ididnt mention the modem problem.

isnt it about time linux made modem configuration easy access the masses.

what pi-----s me off all linux gurus say that is to much like win.

what are computers for is it to try and confuse the masses or is it an exclusive club ive posted. post after post trying to get,help with this modem thing .

all the answeres i printed so i could follow the info.

but im still not on line with a linux OS yet.

so i have to revert back to win xp.

which i know i can get on line with.

i have knoppix which ive had for 3 years and i can dial up to access to cd

but that is all.

marty

for modems you would use KPPP for a KDE desktop, gnome under system tools or internet also has a dialer setup. if its a winmodem no linux is easy.. the modem was made for WINDOWS.... its willnot work (or may not work) with other OS becase it was made not to.. its hte modem not the OS.