would anyone have any clue as to why "explorer.exe" would kill its self, and restart...keeps happening until it stops restarting, then when I manually "start new task" and type it in and execute, it does it again until it stops once more.

Last things done before this happened was d/l some music via Vuze, COMODO I/S with Def+ was running and up to date.

Did a no-destructive re-installation, repair install, and it is still doing it.

Win XP service pack 3 -- All updates current

Most common cause for explorer.exe to crash like this is malware; so post a hijackthis log on the malware board and ask for help.

Secondly if it only happens when you open specific folders is that there is too much unorganized data in that folder; like you have a folder full of pictures or videos and you open it an windows tries to load them all into memory at once to generate previews and icons etc and this crashes explorer (explorer.exe is the graphic user interface; the application which gives you a desktop and lets you see what is in folders ).

If this is the case, use a third party file manager like Jexplorer or 2xexplorer to create some new sub folders and move things around to decrease the number of files per folder by creating a tree of organization .

Pete, figured I would do the H/J log so I headed over to the "how to post a HJT log" thread and started the steps. I got a far as scanning with MBAM, did a complete scan which took an hour...but who is complaining when it fixed the problem and then some.

My comp is back, runs faster, and doesn't do the "lag and wait while i search"...thank you a lot for prodding me in the right direction and giving me options of things to try! :thumbsup: